Why didn't you call my name..?

A/N: (Prepare for some angst ya'll and this will be longer than most and there will be more POV switching, sorry)

(CREDS TO ARTIST THIS AINT MINE but it is really good though)

"He told her then to call out his name if  she was ever in any danger, if anything dared to harm her, so why didn't she only then call him as she was losing herself to deaths cold arms..?" 

Lumine POV:

Darkness surrounded the small and desolate area of the Chasm, the crisp night air was still and thick with tension as the clash of swords was all I heard ringing in my ears while abyssal creatures continued to charge at me relentlessly. This has gone on for what felt like an eternity, exhaustion trying to eat away at my senses, blood spilling from my wounds and my bruises ached, yet I was determined to push on despite this immense pain. I wasn't going to die just yet, I needed to find my sibling, and perhaps the Chasm was my way to find them.

Abyss mages and heralds swarmed towards me with more elemental attacks and more energy than before. I whirled around, trying to block the strikes with my sword, but my hands were shaky, and I had to use every remnant of my strength to combat it. Luckily my efforts weren't in vain and they stumbled backwards from the attack. I tried to crack a smirk but my body was too weak from their attacks on me. They managed to make several gashes on my arms and my knees, and landed many bruises on my torso and my chest. I breathed heavily, I wasn't sure how long I could last against this as darkness crept on the edges of my vision and yet, they showed no mercy towards me, and charged at me again with more force than the last, yet my attention was averted away from them as I tried not to let exhaustion take me.

Their strike found me right through my torso. I stumbled back and fell on my knees, covering my mouth to prevent myself from crying out in agony. Blood poured from my wounds and the pain was overwhelming as it crashed over me like a wave.

I glance back up at the Abyss heralds and mages, thankfully, they looked satisfied, yet they gathered in a group, perhaps deciding whether to kill me or not. Darkness ate away at the corners of my vision and I could feel my mind growing more and more misty  as all of my injuries led up to this. The air now felt cold and freezing and carried a sense of dread and tears began to well up in my eyes, at the thought of death. I allowed myself to collapse onto the lifeless and yellowed grass of the Chasm. 

As my eyes felt heavy, I recalled everything in my journeys, thinking of all those pleasant memories of the people I held dear, and luckily Paimon had left earlier, and I began to remember something from the corners of my mind.

"If you awake to a knife at your throat, if monsters dig their claws into you, if death comes knocking at your door, call out my name. Adeptus Xiao. I will be here when you call."

I nearly cried at the thought of him, of hearing his voice in my head when he said that. Could I really call him? Or was it too late now? I tried calling out his name, but the words were stuck in my throat, I could barely speak from the exhaustion and pain. I furiously repeated his name over and over again in my mind, thinking it would do something. I felt angry and sorrowful tears spill down my cheeks, the air was heavy with dread and an ominous feeling that started to creep into my mind, as the thought of death was all I could think of. My eyes grew heavier and heavier as darkness started to cloud my vision and yet I managed to call out before unconsciousness would take me.

"Xiao... are you there..?" 

Xiao POV:

(Few moments prior to this)

The night was still and fairly peaceful as a breeze blew by, I sat by the balcony of Wangshu Inn, trying to take in this peace, as the wars in my heart were still being waged in this eternal suffering and demon subjugation.