Why didn't you call my name..? Pt. 2

(HEADS UP!!! This chapter will include my personal headcanons, one of them is that Zhongli adopted Xiao after saving him from the cruel god he was enslaved to and that Zhongli truly sees him as his real son and Xiao can trust him with his emotions. Another is that before Lumine and Aether came to Teyvat they had a cute sibling moment and that's where Lumine had her flower and feathers from.)

"The adeptus warrior had never cried, not even shedding a single tear. Not when his closest comrades fell, not when he was enslaved to a cruel god who undermined his view of himself and affected the very way he thinks, not even when he was in pain from his karma. But he had cried for her, the blonde Traveler; Lumine. The first tears ever shed by the adeptus over the one who held his heart in her hands."

Xiao POV:

I returned to Wangshu Inn, feeling incredibly uneasy from everything. My arms felt shaky without Lumine secure in my arms. My mind was racing with thoughts of worry to the point I felt dizzy. I gripped the balcony tightly to the point my knuckles turned white. This was too much for me to handle or understand, what was this sorrow and immense guilt I felt? This weakness? This vulnerability? I needed to stop this feeling before it consumed me, as thoughts of her mortality raced through my mind, possibilities that she wouldn't make it, and all because I would arrived too late.

Tears stung the back of my eyes, yet I refused to let them fall. Warriors such as I do not cry, do they? It felt as if this unnamed feeling I had would eat me alive, consuming my thoughts and my heart.

She could not die, she couldn't.

I tried reassuring myself that over and over, yet it did little to ease me. I sighed and looked out at the night again which was getting lighter in color as morning would come soon enough. And perhaps with the morning could come new hope for me, for Lumine.

Over time, I felt myself relax again, though I still worried for her. The Wangshu Inn was silent now at night, the only sound the rustling of the trees and lanterns that hung from the doorways. The passage of time seemed to pass by faster with my worries keeping me company. I don't know how long I stood by the Wangshu Inn's balcony or leaving for patrol, as even evil does not rest, not even at my worst state.

Soon, morning broke the veil of night and the sun arose again, irritatingly bright. Soon the cities and people would awaken and the day would begin. Whether night or day, time did not affect me nor my worries. My thoughts had all been about Lumine's situation, my heart felt heavy with guilt and frustration. Why didn't I arrive sooner?! Why didn't she call out for me?!

Through the day, I wished I could go to the harbor and see if she was alright, yet my own desires were conflicted. I knew I couldn't stay in the harbor, my karma is a threat to the citizens yet I wanted to know she was alright and stay by her side, yet wouldn't that be selfish of me? I sighed frustratedly. Despite the fact adepti never required sleep, I craved it at the moment. I felt fatigued and exhausted, and yet, the world does not give me mercy from my endless suffering, the prices I must pay.

The only thing that kept me sane from all my suffering was Lumine, her bravery, her patience, her understanding made me feel accepted despite my karma, my past and all my flaws and she was someone I could not lose, or I would be nothing. She's precious to me and it scares me, I can't lose her, not after I had let down my walls and have her close to me.

I was lost in thought for quite some time, not hearing the footsteps that were approaching. I felt someone near me, not threatening but a calming presence. I turned around, and it was Zhongli. His amber eyes were gentle and kind and he carried himself with grace.

"I have heard what befell Lumine." Zhongli began "Are you alright, Xiao? I know she is one of the few people close to you."

Hearing my fathers voice felt like a balm to my soul, he was very comfortable to be around and I felt as if I didn't need to hide anything from him. I shook my head in response.