7)- Race Against the Odds

We climbed up to get into the roof, there were grates that we were able to climb on. The raptor had broken the glass and was able to claw its way into the room. The stupid thing was so much smarter than any of us thought they would be. Muldoon thought that they would be smart, but never did he ever think that they would be this smart. I helped the kids get into the ceiling first, before I climbed up. I pulled my leg up before the raptor was able to get me, but it did snag my pant leg. Nothing got me, shockingly, but thankfully nonetheless. As we crawled through the rafters dad pulled back one of the ceiling tiles. It leads to the top of the main lobby area. We smiled and cheered softly, we were getting out. But our joy was short- lived because one of the raptors had found us. Where this one came from I have no idea. We all, though, decided that it must have been a good idea to climb onto the skeletons to get away from the raptor. Truthfully it was our only way down, but the raptor was smarter than that. She also jumped onto the skeletons.

After that it was a mad rush to get to the bottom while staying away from the raptor. The added weight and trashing motion of the skeletons was starting to be enough to rip the bolts from the ceiling. I looked in horror as one of the skeletons that was falling was the only thing holding Timmy. I swung mine closer, it took a few tries but I was able to climb under, and around him to pull him under me. When his skeleton came crashing down thankfully I took most of the hit. It came down hard on my back, and one of the shards cut into my side. I grit my teeth but kept my voice down. I tried to calm Tim down, gently shushing and promising him that I was ok. I don't think he really wanted to believe me, seeing as there was blood coating my dirty, but still cream colored shirt. “Are you alright Tim? Are you hurt?” I asked. He shook his head but pointed to my side. “I’m not, but you are.” I smiled and shook my head. “No. No, I’m alright. I’m ok.” I was not ok. But if it would calm him down I would say whatever he wanted me to. Ellie crawled out and made her out and dad ran over to pull Timmy out from underneath me. I was the only thing that was holding the skeleton up,and not crushing him. Dad tried to brace the skeleton above me long enough for me to slip out but it didn’t help that much, I skinned my back pretty badly even through my shirt. I hissed out in pain but tried to just internalize it. “You’re hurt, Loralie.” I nodded my head, just barely. “It’s not bad. I’ll be ok.” I said. He knew I wasn’t but he didn’t push it any further.

We gathered in a close circle since there was one behind us and one in front of us. We slowly walked but, but hearing the hiss, we knew that there was not a whole lot of room for us to. I held onto Timmy, and moved him to the side of me. Closer to the middle of everyone rather than out in the open.  They were both on the verge of tears, my shushing did little to help the situation, but honestly how could it. I closed my eyes tightly and braced for the jump, but then it never came. There was no jump or attack on us. The Rex came back, and thrashed around one of the raptors. Killing it. We took that as our chance to run. Running right past both dinos, and the last raptor jumped on the back of the Rex.

As we ran out of the building John, and Ian were in the jeep waiting for us. I picked up the kids and put them in there first, then Ian grabbed my arm, with care and lovingly pulled me in. “After careful consideration Mr hammond. I have decided not to endorse your park.” My father said, I smiled and shook my head as John nodded along. “So have I.” With that we drove off, leaving the dinos to duke it out. We heard a resounding Trumpet of the Rex, she must have won. Ian, carefully and gently pulled my head into his chest and cradled my head. “It’s ok now. We are done. We’re going home.” He said I smiled and nodded back to him. It was all going fine until we hit a bump in the road, part of the seat brushed against the cut in my side and I cried out in pain. The adrenaline was wearing off and I was starting to feel all the pain I was in. “What’s wrong? What’s wrong with her?” He cried out. I was trying to breathe through my nose, calming my breath and ignoring the pain. “She got cut, I didn’t know how bad it was.” My father said looking back. I was paler than I should have been. My face was bone white, and I was sweaty. Oddly sweaty for how cold I felt. My shirt was soaked, and red, my back was bleeding slightly but not very bad, it was my side. The cuts on my legs and arms had stopped bleeding a while ago, already dried. I put a shaky hand to my side and carefully pressed against it. Feeling the depth and severity of the cut. It was pretty bad, I felt my ribs. I grunted and pulled my hand back. It was completely red, and dripping in my own blood.

“We need to hurry, I don't know how much more blood she can afford to lose.” Ian said. I leaned my head back on his shoulder and closed my eyes. “Hey, hey. Don’t do that. Open your eyes for me. Please.” he begged, I shook my head, but opened them slightly.