Chapter 1

I'd sell my kidney for the promise of a few good hours of sleep. Ususally my tiredness is a result of anxitey or nightmares, but tonight its my brain repeatedly reminding me of how fucking embarassing my day was.

Every time I close my eyes, I see myself bumping into a man and spilling my coffee all over his expensive looking suit, and then proceeding to slip and fall in it.

   Why did he have to be remarkably handsome? Why couldnt he have been as much of a mess as I was? Sigh. Just my luck.

I had jumped up and apologized profusely, rambling like a lunatic, and offered to pay for his dry cleaning.

He stood there with his tie dripping,  amusment shining in his dark brown eyes, "I assure you, it's not a big deal. Just be careful in the future."
He winked and left abruptly - most likely going home to change his now drenched clothes.

I keep reminding myself that I'll probably never see him again, so there is no reason for my clumsiness to keep me awake tonight.

Keeping that in mind, I let myself slip into a fitful slumber.

--------------------------------------------

       It took me a long time to find something I was passionate enough about to pursue as a career. I've always been crafty and figured why not use my talents to make actual money. What started as a small online soap business has blossomed into a brick-and-mortor soap shop.

         I walk into my store early this morning and take a second to breathe it all in. Although it's small, it has a lot of character and charm. Green is my happy color, so naturally, my choice was to paint the walls a pale sage green shade. Pictures containing dried flowers I've collected from my hikes hang on the walls inside rustic white frames.  The shelving holding my homemade soaps, lotions, perfumes, candles, and teas are pale wood. Fairy lights adorn the ceiling, covering the shop in a welcoming glow. Peaceful. 

       It takes some time opening up. My one and only employee is sick today, so I was stuck doing everything myself. When I flip the sign on the door to open, I let out a deep breath. Let's have a good day.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Thanks for shopping at Sage's Soapothecary! Have a nice day!"
The man shoots me a small smile and wave as he makes his way out the door. He chose one of my newest prodcuts, a Hickory and Cedar Leather solid cologne. 
Whoever gets to smell it on him later is a lucky person.

I decided it was time to take a lunch break, seeing that it's well past noon.  Heading towards the front door, I prepare to lock it and change the sign, but someone barrels through, panting and out of breath. I stumble a bit, but a pale arm holds me steady.
"Shit, Im sorry! I really have to learn to slow down and pay attention."

My eyes travel from his strong arm up to startling blue eyes. Holy shit. I dont think I've ever seen eyes like this before, so icy and light. His hair is a beautiful strawberry blonde, and honestly, it's so perfect that im wondering if he dyes it. It's shorter on the sides and just slightly longer on top with some faint waves running through it.

"You okay there?" he asks, smirk evident in his tone. "I really didn't mean to run into you like that." Fuck. Got caught creepin.

"Oh yeah", I stutter out, "peachy. I spilled hot coffee down the front of someone yesterday morning, so dont feel too bad."
He lets out a laugh that has my heart beating a little bit faster. Damn, even his laugh is perfect.

Hey everyone, thanks for reading the first chapter of A Place That Makes Me Happy!  I've been wanting to write this story for a while now and finally worked up the courage to do so.

I know this chapter is short.  As the book progresses, they will gain some length.

I hope you stick around with me for this story and love it as much as I do! 😍

Dont forget to vote, comment, and add to your library!

-Elisa