Chapter 3

I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. When I opened my eyes to start my day, I immediately heard the steady beat of raindrops on the roof. The air smelled clean and fresh. It would be great if I could stay here like a little house gremlin- stealing snacks occasionally, then hiding under the covers. Maybe watch a crappy tv show or two.

Adulting sucks.

It's been a slow morning at the Soapothecary, not that I mind, really. It gave me an excuse to close earlier than normal for my lunch break. My best friend texted me about a half hour ago saying she was in town and wanted to meet at the cafe a couple blocks away from my shop. I hadn't seen her in a while, so I quickly replied with a hell yes.

I dont mind the short walk even though it's drizzling outside. Nothing a cute raincoatcan'tt fix. Plus, there's something intoxicating about the smell of rain.

As to be expected, the Cozy Cup is buzzing with people. They have some of the best lattes and brunch food around. Liv is easy to spot, her height and hair making her noticeable among the lunch rush.

Olivia has been my best friend for about 5 years now. We met at a local craft fair and hit it off almost immediately. Somehow, we click depsite the obvious differences we have. Where im noticably subdued, she's boistrous and outgoing. She loves dancing and the nightlife. I'd much rather curl up with a cup of tea and a good book. Bright red hair cascades down her back in ringlet curls, and her eyes shine like the brightest emeralds. I have wavy, dirty blonde hair that, more often than not, is thrown haphazardly in a claw clip and hazel eyes, which could be conisdered more brown than green.

"Sagey baby!" she shouts, making a few heads turn. I smile and give her a hug once I reach her.
"I missed you, Livvy."
"I missed you, too. I have so much to tell you!"
Indeed, she did.
"And then it charged at me, and I fell off the rock I was standing on. Every single bit of my body weight landed on my wrist. Stupid fucking mountain goat."

Olivia is a traveling photographer. Every now and then she'll take photos for a wedding or the occasional maternity shoot, but her main focus is on nature in the countries she travels to. She is damn good at what she does. Somehow, shes always able to capture the beautiful in what some people would perceive as "ugly."

Shes waving her hot pink cast around in irritation and it makes me chuckle. Usually, her travel stories involve drunken one-night stands, this is definitley a change of pace.
"Anything new with you? How's the shop?" she asked.
"Nothing new with me, but Ive been braintstorming some new ideas for the shop and I think ive come up with something good." I say hesitantly.

"What do you think about setting up a candle making workshop? Like people can sign up and pay a fee and id teach them the process. They would leave with a candle they made themselves and with a scent of their choosing!"

"Oh my god, Sage! Youd get tons of business from that. Thats a great date night idea. People would love it, dude!"

I thank her and we begin talking about what is needed to get my idea started. I have the money and the supplies to do a class like this, so that isnt an issue. Its more how to advertise and get people interested. Liv offers to take some pictures and put together some fliers. I seriously dont know what I'd do without her crazy, supportive ass. We talk a little more, then part ways with the promise of seeing each other this upcoming weekend.

It's not raining anymore, but the grey clouds still hang heavily in the sky. I spent longer on my lunch break than I was expecting, but once you get the two of us together, it's hard to shut us up. Im almost to the Soapothecary when I hear my name being called. The streets are busy with cars and people, so it takes me a moment to locate the voice I heard.

Walking in my direction holding hands are Finn and the handsome man who I spilled my coffee on the other day. I've never been a fan of holding hands. Mine gets sweaty, and it becomes uncomfortable quickly.
Finn is grinning, his smile bright and friendly. He's dressed casually in black jeans, which are tapered to his slim, long legs perfectly, a light grey knit sweater, and clean white sneakers. Coffee man, once again, is wearing a suit. It's a deep, navy blue color, and the shirt underneath is white with the top few buttons open. A small amount of chest hair peaks out, and my eyes are drawn to it. He looks expensive. He's taller than Finn by at least 6 inches and is definitely more filled out in the muscle department.

When he gets close enough, Finn pulls me into a quick hug, which takes me by surprise. He smells faintly of the Bergamot & Lavender soap he bought from my shop the other day.

A throat clearing draws my attention to the man standing slightly behind him. He glances down at my hands. Im confused for a second until he speaks up.
"Just making sure you have nothing to spill on me again." He jokes, a small smile lighting up his stoic face.
A nervous laugh bubbles out of me before I can stop it.
"I'm unarmed this time, I swear!" I say playfully and hold my hands up in surrender.
"Im Arlo Donovan." He sticks a large hand out, and I grab it with mine, giving it a firm shake. His hands are large and veiny, but not overly so. The feel of his long, thick fingers wrapping around my small ones makes me not want to let go. I dont want to seem weird, though, so I drop his hand and take a step back.
"Sage Moore," I introduce. "Nice to meet you."
Finn jumps in and asks where im headed. When I mention im going back to work, they offer to walk me back, and I agree.

I found out that Finn is a literary translator. Poems, short stories, textbooks, journal entries, you name it, he translates it. Apparently, he moved around a lot with his family when he was younger and gained an interest in learning languages.

Arlo has a PhD. in Social Science. He works as a professor at a private university just outside of town. I bet he attracts a lot of attention on campus looking like he does.

Our conversation is light and flows easily. Honestly, im not used to it. When im at work, I anticipate small talk. Customers ask questions relating to my products, and Im always able to answer without hesitation. Outside of work and my close friends, I tend to keep to myself. I like it that way. These men make small talk seem fun - like making new friends isn't nerve-wracking.

Before I know it, my white brick storefront comes into view. They wait as I unlock the door, and then we walk inside. Arlo immediately begins walking around, examining different items on the shelves. Finn makes himself comfortable by lounging on the green velvet bench by the window. I begin organzing stuff behind the counter for a few minutes until they both walk up. A couple of bath bombs are set by the register. Finn is blushing at the wink Arlo sent his way.

" Thanks for walking me back, guys!" I send another wink Finns way, "enjoy the bath bombs." I didn't think someone could turn so red. How cute. It looks like Arlo is holding back his laughter.

"Before we head out, I wanted to ask if you'd like to grab lunch with us this weekend. I feel like we could be great friends. It's just the vibe im getting," Finn asks me, succesfully changing the subject.

Surprise is shown on Arlos' face, and I dont know whether I should accept the offer or not. He speaks up a few moments later in aggrement, saying that he thinks it would be fun.

Im not going to lie, I do feel a kind of connection with them, but I still dont know if it a good idea or not. Knowing me, if I sit here and think about it too hard, i'll start spiraling. Keeping that in mind, I find myself saying yes.
"Great! Let's exchange numbers, and we'll mess with the details later."

As they leave, I can't help but wonder if im making a mistake. Friendship is cool and all, but I can easily see myself becoming attached to these men.