Chapter One

Lucy walked around the crowded bar. In darkness like this it was near impossible to find the friends she came here with. She sighed and sat down on a stool at the bar itself, ordering herself another drink. "Hey gorgeous", a man sat down next to her, ordering himself a new bottle of beer. He seemed to be here for the public viewing of the football game that was on the small tv in the corner of the bar. "Hey", she answered and smiled at him. "A beauty like you isn't here to watch the game I assume?" he looked at her as he waited for his beer. The dim lighting made his features stand out more and Lucy was mesmerized by his sharp jaw and the way his eyes were sparkling mysteriously under the neon lights. "No, I'm just here to have fun with my friends, but I can't find them anywhere", she sighed and thanked the bartender as he slid over her freshly made drink.

He got up and took a sip of his beer. "If you don't want to be alone, you can join me, and we can watch the game together?" Lucy could hear the sincerity in his voice and because she really didn't want to be on her own in a bar like this, she agreed.

That it happened in a way she could not have imagined, was just a bonus. After the game she found herself cheering with him for the team he was a fan of, and being as drunk as they were, they hugged each other in victory. He pressed a kiss on her cheek and beamed, a drunken shimmer of red was spread over his cheeks. "You might just be good luck, they haven't had a high-ranking victory like this in ages!"

How and when she then found herself next to him in his truck and then in his bed on top of him, she could not recall, but she vividly remembered waking up the next morning naked next to him in a small apartment. He looked so peaceful like this, sun rays basking his skin in a beautiful tone. Lucy gathered her clothes from the ground and got dressed quickly before fixing herself up in the bathroom. When he was still asleep when she was ready to leave, she kissed him softly and then disappeared out the door and ran to the next bus stop to finally go to her own apartment and take a shower.

Three weeks later, she was sitting on the bathroom floor, she stared at the two red lines that had appeared on the pregnancy test she had just taken. "Shit." She felt a tear rolling down her cheek and then put a hand on her stomach. There was a baby inside of her right now. Lucy knew that she would keep it and she knew she would do anything to keep pursuing psychology in college, even while pregnant.

But she also knew that she had no way of contacting the father of the baby. They never even exchanged names, so texting or calling was not an option. She also had to tell her parents at some point, and she knew they would be feral getting pregnant while being in her freshman year of college.

Lucy got up from the floor and looked for an empty shoe box to put the positive pregnancy test into. If she couldn't tell the handsome stranger about his child now, maybe she could at least show her child every little memory about it.

- Ten years later –

After Lucy had dropped Hailee off at school, she started driving towards the Mid-Wilshire-Station of the LAPD where she would now be working her probationary year after finishing the academy together with her best friends John Nolan and Jackson West.

She sighed as her car made strange noises and then simply stopped on the road without turning back on. Great. Lucy got out of the car and started pushing, now glad that she wasn't that far from her new workplace.

About two blocks later, she was stopped by a man a little older than her. He wanted to steal a broken car (which is something she thought was unbelievable) and within seconds she had grabbed him and put him in her broken-down car.

Not too long after she arrived at the station and slammed him on the counter of the front desk. "Officer Lucy Chen reporting for Duty!" It felt great saying these words and two officers came to take him to the cells. The nice lady at the front desk also showed her the way to the woman's locker room and she smiled as she headed there, getting to wear the uniform for the first time officially on the job.

She could feel the stares of the senior officers, they probably loved the day when fresh meat came into the station to be trained, already taking bets who would wash out first or who's going to be the best officer once they had finished their probationary year.

Lucy headed towards roll call, sitting next to Jackson with an excited smile. "Where's John?" she asked him, and he shrugged. "Should be here any minute."

When roll call started a few minutes later, she was buzzing with energy. Her first actual day of work and she was curious to which T.O. she would be assigned to.

Their watch commander Sergeant Grey finally got to assigning and she grabbed John's and Jackson's hand under the table.

"Lopez, you get our prodigy, Jackson West. Bishop, you get the man who was born before disco died. Bradford, you get Lucy Chen, our hotshot who started her day with a bust."

She turned around, eager to know who the lucky guy is she was being trained by. Her eyes glanced through the room until they stayed still on the name 'Bradford'. She looked up, smiling, but when she got a proper look on his face she froze.

Her new T.O. was the guy who had knocked her up ten years ago after watching a football game together in a crowded bar with too many drinks.

Oh boy, that would be a tough year...