Chapter Four

"Mommy, what are you doing there?" Hailee looked at her mother from across the table. "Studying penal codes for my exam today. It's for reaching the six-month-mark on the job."

Hailee walked over to look at the contents of the book lying in front of Lucy on the table. "Looks hard."

Lucy chuckled and pulled her daughter onto her lap. "It is hard, but it will make me one step closer to becoming an actual police officer who cannot be fired for the teeny-tiniest reason." She tickled Hailee and smiled when she heard her bright laughter. "Come on, let's get you to school, shall we?"

On shift she was able to push down the thoughts about the exam and focused solely on being on patrol. Their first call was easy, a man whose wife went missing a couple of weeks ago being exposed by a psychic. He basically confessed everything, didn't even ask for a lawyer.

However, things changed abruptly when all units were called back to the station, and they were briefed about a suspected biological terror attack connected to Nolan's homicide situation. "Your exams will be postponed until tomorrow. Get this guy!" Grey ordered and everyone got up to hunt the remaining two terrorists.

As Bradford got up, Lucy got out her phone, quickly typing a text message to someone before looking up at her T.O. "Sir, I have to make a phone call, its important." Tim looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "Who are you calling? We can't risk to put other people in panic mode." Lucy sighed, she knew that was true, but it would eat her alive if she didn't at least took precautions for her child. "I know, it'll be quick." Tim rolled his eyes as he watched her dial a number and disappearing out through the main entrance.

"Hello, is this Mid-Wilshire-Elementary? Yes, my name's Officer Lucy Chen, my daughter Hailee goes to your school. Could you please pass a note to her?"

Tim watched through the glass as she was talking on the phone, making his way to the garage as he saw her wrapping up the call.

When Lucy got to the shop, Bradford was already sitting in the driver's seat, waiting for her. "Come on, we got to interview this passenger. He called about a mixed-up bag, and he found chemical equipment in it." He drove off quickly as soon as she was buckled up and soon later, they were knocking on Langston's door.

"Took you long enough, the bag's here." The passenger showed them inside and stopped in front of a backpack filled with scientific equipment. "Did you touch anything in there?" Tim asked, but he already knew his answer when he saw his bleeding finger and heard the coughs. "Chen, stay out of here." "What?" But she was cut off by the door being slammed shut by Bradford.

"Sir, what's going on?" But she didn't get an answer. Lucy only faintly heard Tim's voice through the door. "Chen, is everything alright out there with you?" He asked through the door and Lucy nodded – he couldn't see her. "Yes, CDC is on their way. Tim, you've got to get out of there." She heard him sigh on the other side. "No, we've got to keep this contained. I'll be fine, you keep your head in the game from the outside."

Lucy waited until Morgan arrived with homeland security. "Officer Chen, what exactly happened?" He ordered her outside while the CDC covered the door in duct tape and plastic.

"Yeah, so this passenger mistakenly grabbed the wrong bag which had a bunch of scientific equipment inside. He cut himself on it and got infected. Officer Bradford was in the room when we noticed, and he shut me out."

Morgan headed back to the door and knocked. "Officer Bradford, here's Dr. Morgan. Everything all right in there?" "Yeah, I'm fine, but Langston is struggling. His nose won't stop bleeding. He started coughing up blood about 20 minutes ago as well." Tim explained as he was pressed against the bedroom door.