Chapter Three: Apologies

Incense burning, I sit at my desk in my room, doing my homework. My earphones are in my ears as Rikki blabs on about how much she hates Aiden. Yeah right.

Just as I finish writing a chemical formula, something hits my window. I jump and Rikki sees.

"What?"

"Think someone's-" I stop as it happens again. "I think someone's throwing rocks at my window." I stand up slowly, pulling my earphones from my laptop.

"What?...Oh my God, I bet it's Jake!"

"Please. He's not that lame," I say, watching my curtains as the sound of a rock hitting my window echoes around again.

"Bet you a cadbury bar it's him. Go on, Juliet. Romeo awaits!" She giggles. I glare at the camera, before quitting Skype. Bet she wanted to listen in.

Pulling my curtains apart, I see a fourth rock hit my window. On the grass outside is none other than Jake Riles, hood up, hands in is pockets.

I unlatch the window and heave it up. "Little cliché," I call out. I can hardly see in the darkness, but I think he smiles.

"Didn't want to run into your mum. Need to talk to you," he says. My face twists in thought for a minute, before I nod and pull back in.

I close my window and shut the curtains, before turning to my mirror. My pastel purple hair is up in a ponytail. I pull it out and runs my fingers through it, before grabbing a hoodie.

Luckily in Australia during an Autumn May it wasn't overly cold. Especially inland here. I leave my shorts and T-Shirt on, but slip on some flats.

Quiet as a mouse I sneak downstairs, hearing my mum in the kitchen. My brothers and sisters are asleep.

I walk into the laundry and shut the door, before sliding open the exterior door near the clothesline. I leave the house and round the corner to stand two metres away from Jake.

I won't deny he looks good with his hood up, leaning against the wall with his hands in his pockets. True bad boy persona.

"What?" I say, folding my arms.

"Did I interrupt something?"

"Homework and Rikki."

"Yeah yeah, I'm sure they're important to you," he jokes dryly.

"Well one is. The other talks to much."

That actually makes him laugh slightly. I try to ignore the little leap my heart does. Get a grip Riley.

"Your mum make you come here?" I ask.

"She said I should apologise tomorrow. I um... wanted to now. I know things from your dad mean a lot to you and it was pretty stuffed of my to ruin your necklace," he admits.

I lean against the wall, leaving about a metre between us.

"Here the thing," I begin. "You don't owe me an apology." He goes to speak but I beat him to it. "Yes, the choker means a lot, so I should have known not to wear it. Also you weren't to know. And I'm the one who should apologise. I'm sorry I kicked you in the Deputy's office."

By his expression I guess he wants to say something, but opts out for just nodding. It goes completely silent between us, but he doesn't leave.

"Was there...something else?" I ask quietly, turning towards him so my shoulder is pressed up against the wall.

He lets out a huff of a laugh, smirking at the ground.

"Just ah... Thinking about what Miss said, about when you first got here. You...remember what happened?" He asks.

"You mean at the end of last year when you kissed me and then hated me the next day for no reason?" I recall. If it was any brighter he'd be able to see how red my face is.

"Yeah..." He trails off, turning to face me as I had done to him.

"Let's see... Last day of term one, you kissed me. Last day of term two, you kissed me. Last day of term three, I kissed you. Last day of term four you kissed me. First day of summer holidays you-"

Before I can describe in certain detail the moment he humiliated me by acting like we were strangers, for the fifth time ever, he kisses me.

It was just a step towards me. He reaches out, touches my face and kisses me. One and a half terms of fighting and he does this.

With that thought, I pull away an inch, in shock. Jake goes to stay something as I take three steps back.

"I didn't-...Sorry," he says. I run a hand through my hair, giving him an 'are you serious'? look. What shocks me more is when he grins.

"Something funny?" I snap.

"Nah just...forgot how good that feels."

"Jake!" I nearly shriek, because if that wasn't embarrassing I'm the Queen of Australia. "What's wrong with you? This...People don't do things like this. This is so cliché, seriously."

"Well, I didn't really know what to do. So..." He rubs the back of his neck awkwardly.

"You could start by explaining why you stopped talking to me," I say quietly. He sighs.

"I don't know....It's hard to explain." I roll my eyes .

"Wrong answer."

Up above our heads, I hear the window open and my mother call out my name. Thinking quickly, I shove against Jake's chest, pushing him up against the wall.

I step right in front of him. My mum wears glasses, but not passed 6pm, so I doubt she can see much. The window closes and I breathe a sigh of relief.

When I glance up at Jake, he's staring down at me.

"Fleur-"

"Don't," I interrupt, closing my eyes.

"Let me explain... What are you doing tomorrow, after school?"

"Work. Then I'll be prepping for the excursion. Why?" He doesn't say anything for a while. He knows I know what he's asking. "I guess you can come over when I finish work."

I step back, much further away than before.

"Thanks. Guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah... tomorrow."

I fold my arms, because now it's actually getting cold. He starts to walk away, off of the property. He's nearly gone in the shadows when I call out to him.

"Jake?" I think I see him turn around. "Thanks. For you know, coming around."