Chapter 22

Talulah glanced back at Koshelna, the confrontation between the two more tense than ever.

-What the heck do you want from me this time? - She asked, silently unsheathing her sword.

Upon hearing her question, the liberi woman faked an offended expression.

-Oh, can't I simply say hello to my dear daughter?

The Draco didn't reply back. Seeing this, Koshelna couldn't help but sigh in disappointment.

-Rebellious as always, huh?... - Her expression suddenly took a complete turn and became dead-serious. - Well, enough with the jokes. I think we both know why I'm here... Didn't anyone teach you how rude it is to eavesdrop on the conversations of others?

Talulah adopted a sufficient smirk.

-Truth to be told, I've never given a damn about the nobility's code of conduct you so dearly tried to instill me, but that doesn't matter now. I've heard everything, Kashchey. I know all about your plans to assassinate Gergeiev and replace him with a puppet of your own.

-Well, if that's the case... then come and stop me. - Replied Koshelna defiant.

Talulah gripped her longsword with force and began walking towards the liberi woman, resolute to end her miserable live right there and now... but, all of a sudden, she stopped in her tracks upon realizing something. This was what Kashchey wanted her to do, he was trying to trick her into killing him for his nefarious purposes.

Koshelna noticed the hesitation in the Draco and, grinning to herself, she said in a honeyed tone.

-Why did you stop? Weren't you going to kill me and put and end to my plans?

She tried her best to maintain her cool.

-I know you all too well, Kashchey. I'm not falling into you trap a second time.

Koshelna put on a stoic face, seemingly unfazed by the Draco's words, but in reality, she was hiding her annoyance. She had strapped a block of C4 onto herself with a device monitoring her vital signs connected to it. Had everything gone according to her plan, her death would have triggered such colossal explosion that the entire building would have been destroyed, and most important of all, vaporized Talulah in the process, yet her negative to kill her had sent everything down the sink.

After a brief silence, she spoke.

-You know? I'm a bit disconcerted. When I abandoned your mind, you were full of pain, shame, remorse, you were broken... but look at yourself now, so radiant and determined to continue fighting till the bitter end. It makes me wonder... What happened in the other world? - The Draco watched the liber woman with caution as she began to walk around her. - Tell me, Talulah. What was it? Did your visit to Earth bring peace to your soul? Did you have a sudden revelation, or...? - Her tone became malevolent and penetrating. - Or perhaps is that you met someone... special?

Not even a second after those words escaped from her lips, Koshelna spotted a torrent of fire coming towards her at such speed that she barely dodged it. When the flames dissipated, she was met by the sight of a very angry Talulah with her sword pointed in her direction.

-Wow, even though it was a mere conjecture from my part, looks like I was on the right. - Muttered the woman, visibly surprised. - You really got yourself a boyfriend...

-One word more and I'll cut your tongue off. - Hissed the Draco.

Her furious reaction greatly amused Koshelna, who adopting a mischievous smirk, said.