Aftermath: A Colorful Return

A few days have passed since the World of Order attempted to grayscale reality. Thankfully, everything was back to normal. Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Off the Hook, Acht, and Eight were finally back home. Deep Cut was currently going over their current newscast in Splatsville wrapping up for the day. As well, it reached into Inkopolis Square.

"That last song was a request from the redoubtable SplatsvilleRulz. titled..." Shiver said.

"Ay! #47 onward, by Dedf1sh feat. Off the Hook!" Big Man said. "Ay! And Shadow Robotnik of Sonic Underground!"

"Hold up-artists from Inkopolis?! I thought we repped Splatsville! ANARCHY!" Frye was pissed off.

"You say that, Frye, but I've heard you gush over their talent before." Shiver said, smiling in amusement. "Speaking of Off the Hook, word is they're back in Inkopolis Square after the big tour."

"Ay! Ay? That's right Did you see they announced a new song after the tour?" Big Man said. "Ay. I caught an interview with Pearl where she said, 'We're not done fighting yet!'. Ay! I don't know what that means, but it SOUNDS cool!"

"Uh, isn't their world tour over? Maybe they still have a score to settle with someone." Frye said.

"Hm? Apparently that's not all the news we have for you today." Shiver said.

"Whoa! Whatcha got?!" Frye asked.

"Turf War is making a comeback at Inkopolis Square. The hype is real, it seems." Shiver replied.

"Another Inkopolis story?! Don't we have any REAL news?" Frye was pissed off again.

"Wasn't Inkopolis Square filled with spaced-out slouches, last we heard?" Shiver asked.

"Ay... Seems like most folks snapped out of it, but some people still aren't all here..." Big Man said.

"C'mon, everyone zones out sometimes. You've been a li'l spacey yourself, Big Man!" Frye said.

"Ay?! Didn't I have to ask someone to pass the soy sauce three times yesterday!" Big Man said, in realization.

"What of it?" Shiver giggled. "It's not like we're involved in whatever's happening at Inkopolis Square."

"Yup. Nothing to do with us, that's for sure!" Frye said.

"And that's it...for now." Shiver said.

"Ay! Let's get outta here!" Big Man said.

"From Splatsville, that's a wrap." Shiver said.

"Catch ya' later!" Deep Cut said in unison, as their broadcast ended.

(Back in Inkopolis Square...)

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sonia, Manic, Silver, and Blaze were with Shadow, Rouge, Omega, and Eight in Inkopolis Square.

"Still no trace of Mephiles or the Octostrikers in the Memverse?" Knuckles asked.

"Nothing. Last time we saw him, he fell from the platform we fought Order on." Eight replied.

"He must've gone back to Earth." Sonic said.

"And those Octostrikers, now called the Shatterstrikers must be with him too." Rouge said.

"Shatterstrikers? What kind of a name is that?" A male voice said.

It was then four Octolings jumped in. It was the real Octostrikers themselves.

"What in the world are you guys talking about?" Revenant asked.

"We thought we saw you guys in the Memverse following Mephiles' orders to stop us from escaping." Eight explained.

"We've been watching over the planet from the Salmonid's invasion." Rogue said. "Why would we do that?!"

"Wait, what?" Rouge said, confused.

Everyone else was just as confused as her.

"So, you guys weren't helping Mephiles back in the Memverse?" Manic asked.

"No." They replied, in unison.

"Then... who or what were those guys?" Eight said, wondering who those other Octolings were.

"Well, if I had to take a guess... Mephiles must've had some kind of backup plan incase he knew he would be destroyed during the War of Darkness." Tails said.

"It was the same way G.U.N. accidentally brought Mephiles back in the first place." Amy said.

"Scan complete." Omega said.

"What?" Blaze said, confused.

"I ran a scan on the Octostrikers, and Tails is right." Omega explained. "The Shatterstrikers we fought in the Memverse don't entirely match the same molecular structure of the Octostrikers here."

"So, those guys must've been clones of them?" Eight asked.

"Affirmative." Omega replied.

"Well, at least we know that the Octostrikers haven't been brainwashed again." Sonia said.

"Yeah." Gizmo said.

"So, what do we do now?" Jinx asked.

"Well, I guess now we're gonna head home." Sonic said. "And try to find where Mephiles went."

"Good call. The rest of us are gonna go to Off the Hook's studio and try to help them out. To rescue the remaining citizens of Inkopolis Square." Revenant said. "Octostrikers, move out!"

Revenant, Jinx, Gizmo, Rogue, and Eight went off, leaving the Mobian heroes on their own.

"Guess it's time to head back home then?" Blaze asked.

"Yeah. Our home is in danger with Mephiles out there. Come on!" Silver said, getting up from his chair.

The Freedom Fighters then went back to Inkopolis Plaza to head back home to their universe. But on the rooftops of the square, Mephiles and the Shatterstrikers were watching from above.

"As I thought. The Freedom Fighters are going back home." Mephiles said.

"They must really want to get rid of you." Rogue said.

"Of course they do, you idiot!" Jinx said, amused and angered.

She was about to slap him, but remembered what Mephiles warned to her.

"So, what shall we do now?" Revenant asked.

"We'll head back. But in the meanwhile... you'll train to master your new powers, and I'll go off to find the rest of the materials for my new armor." Mephiles explained. "Once my new armor is set, we'll set off to find the Paradox Prism at Paradox Peak."

"Yes, master." The Shatterstrikers said, in unison bowing to Mephiles.

"Gizmo... I'm going to need you to come with me, while I search for the materials of my new armor." Mephiles said.

"Very well." Gizmo said.

Mephiles sent the Shatterstrikers and himself back to Mobius, to continue their plan.

With peace restored on Earth once again, it's seems like another happy ending. But some citizens of Inkopolis Square still remain unfound. What will the Octostrikers and Eight do to rescue the inklings and octolings on Earth that have been potentially grayscalled...

(The End? To be continued...)

(Publish date: 5/15/2024)

'Hey, guys. I finally got an aftermath set on this story. This feels rushed out, because of how short it is. But I guess it's because I can't really think of anything for the Sonic/Splatoon Crossover stories of my timeline in Sonic stories. So, yeah. Until next time, everybody.'