Chapter Two: The Noise Is So Quiet

Kenny's eyes widened. He put his hand on Butters' shoulder, looking him in the eyes. "Dude..? Don't apologize, you did nothing wrong. I don't mind, seriously. Just.. don't let her get to you, okay? She's a Canadian girl, so that's two things." Butters smiled and laughed a bit. Noticing he made Butters happy, Kenny smiled as well, and reached in his pocket. "Here, I brought this for Tammy but I guess you deserve it a bit more." He pulled out a rose. It was pretty small, but it was vibrant red, and alive. "Ken..? I- No, you should give this to Tammy! I'm not your girlfriend." "I know. But you deserve it, Butters. Just seeing you like this, I-" Kenny shoved the rose into Butters' hands.

All the noise, the chatter, the music, it seemed blurry. Neither one of the two could even hear it, both focused on the other. Butters took the rose gently, his gaze softening. "...Thanks, Ken." He smiled and held the rose to his chest. "Hey, uhm.. this place is kinda chaotic, you wanna go somewhere else?" Kenny asked, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Yeah. That sounds good!" Butters enthusiastically ran out of the room. Kenny followed, speed-walking.

Everywhere else was loud, too. The two wound up in the hallways, where they stood near the restrooms, chatting. It wasn't as loud there, but still, they could hear a lot of talking. Kenny turned to Butters. "Why do you think she dumped you? If you're alright with answering." "She said that.. uh, let me show you the text," Butters stammered, taking out his phone. He tried to turn it on. "Oh yeah.." he mumbled, putting it back in his pocket. "But anyways, she said that she knew how much the other guys don't like me and said that she doesn't wanna be seen with me and get made fun of." "That's stupid.. I don't know much about relationships, but you'd assume your girl would have the dignity to stick with you through thick and thin.." Butters nodded along as Kenny talked.

Kenny heard footsteps behind him, and turned to see Tammy. He waved, but she looked really upset. "Kenny! You told me you'd be waiting for me by the front door! What are you doing over here? With him?" Kenny paused. "Tammy, I'm sorry! He was ditched! I couldn't just let him go alone and be humiliated." Butters, hoping to make a good impression, waved and smiled. "Yeah, well you could've waited for your girlfriend! Kenny, I get it now. I finally understand you. You don't care! You never did! You got with me and used me for pleasure, for bragging rights, and I'm over it! I wish I had never met you, because you're downright manipulative!" Kenny stared at her in disbelief, worry, and.. fear. "Tammy, I-" "Save it. We're over, Kenny." She walked away. Butters looked straight at Kenny, who looked like he was just told his sister died. "Hey, Ken-" Kenny walked away. Butters, curious and also quite worried, followed him.

Kenny simply walked outside, where he stood at the gate surrounding the school. He put his hands over the gate and sighed, looking into the sky, analyzing the clouds. He didn't say a word, simply tightened his hood and tied the strings, double-knotted. He leaned over the fence and looked down. He felt a drop over the back of his hood, and watched the grass become stained with rain. It was nothing but a light drizzle, but to Kenny, it felt so much worse. Butters watched, tilting his head and staying quiet. Though, his mind raced. Manipulative? Kenny? He'd never! Look how hurt he is.. this guy could never hurt anyone! But, as Butters kept the distance between the two, he realized one thing.

The silence was so loud.

A/N: YIPPEE ANOTHER CHAPTER! I've never been so productive on a fanfic 🤑 but thank you all for the support!! I like where this one's going so hopefully I won't ruin this one XD!! I had a lot of fun writing this while in the car in the rain with Nirvana blasting 👨‍🦲 (someone tell me no one cares) anyways bye!! Might make a new chapter later tonight but don't count on that <3