3

3 | Challenge Accepted

______________

Reign wearily looked out the window when her mother's car came to a halt, brakes squeaking to a stop as the engine hummed impatiently. She couldn't think now that her mother turned down the radio, watching the other students walk across the street toward the school.

"I can't believe you're leaving me here." She muttered bitterly.

Her mother, Maeve, rubbed her face and sighed. She killed the engine and sat in the thick silence thumping around the beat up car, eyes scanning her daughter's attire.

"No pink today?" Maeve asked.

Reign watched her breath fog the window and shrugged. "Not Wednesday."

"Ah." Maeve licked her lips, holding the steering wheel tightly. "Well, I think you look great today."

"Thanks, Mom." Reign's voice was quiet, her eyes turning red as she fought off the urge to cry.

The woman watched as students dragged their feet toward the school and melted into their friend groups on the front lawn. There were plenty of kids attending the local high school, and secretly, Maeve was grateful one of them was her older sister's daughter.

"I'll be back soon."

"I know." Reign swallowed the lump in her throat. "He's not coming back with you this time, is he?"

"Rei." Maeve sighed. She turned her upper body and rubbed her daughter's back. "Don't worry about him. Worry about you. This is your year. We can look at colleges and peek at cars when you get your license."

"I told you I didn't want to go to college." Reign turned to face her mother. "I want to stay here with you."

"You..." Maeve nodded. "We can talk about that when I get back."

"Right." Reign pressed her lips together. "And how long are you going to be chasing Dad down for before you're both coming back?"

"I'm not bringing him back." Maeve reminded her. She could see the pain in her daughter's eyes. "But we'll be fine. You'll be fine. We do not need your father in our life to be successful. We've proved that before and we'll do it again."

"You're right. I'm fine." Reign looked off in the distance and unbuckled her seatbelt. She slipped a heavy exhale past her dark purple lips. "We're just fine."

"The fresh air will feel nice, Rei baby." Maeve leaned over and turned her daughter's face, holding her under the chin and rubbing her cheek with her thumb. "Go make me proud, alright? Good grades and you tell Janis I said hello. Don't worry about your Dad."

"Alright. 'lo. 'lo." Reign pulled her head away and nodded. She reached for the car door and grabbed her book bag between her legs. "Be back by the end of the month, please."