4

4 | Amature Mistake

______________

Standing off to the side in the lunchroom, Cady peered around at the chaotic tables and multiple cliqued up friend groups. Not a single table looked open to new students.

"M'kay. You just need to find your group and commit to it." Damian placed his hands on his hips and looked through the students. He began pointing out a few different tables. "You have your jocks. Your corny horny band freaks."

At the sight of the band kids swapping spit and humping each other over the table, Cady turned her head and winced.

"Your classic burnouts." Damian looked back to Cady and hummed, resting a hand on her shoulder. "Do any of these feel like your people?"

"I don't...I don't think so." Cady mumbled, shifting awkwardly. She looked around the room and sighed. She couldn't see herself fitting in with any of these kids.

"Hmm..." Damian's eyes caught on someone across the room. "You know what might be cute for her?"

Janis followed Damian's eyes and frowned. "What, Grade Grubbers?" She scoffed.

"No." Damian smiled slightly when his eyes caught with another boy just down the long table from the so-called Grade Grubbers. "I was gonna say Theater Mess."

Cady gasped quietly and looked up at Damian as he exchanged a shy wave with one of the theater boys. She smiled to herself, looking around to give him some privacy.

Her posture fixed quickly when she noticed the sea of students part to their left. Reign, the pretty girl from her Calculus class, walked by with a tray of double cheese fries, fruit, and two drinks with her sunglasses covering those dark chocolatey eyes she saw earlier.

"And, who sits at that table?" Cady asked, motioning to the table Reign was settling at.

Janis scrunched up her face and exchanged a look with Damian.

"Oh, no, no, no, no." Damian shook his head. "We called them The Plastics because they're shiny, fake, and hard. Only one of them has a heart, but sadly she finally lost her independent brains last year to the training of Barbieland."

"Yeah." Janis pointed to the girl talking to Reign. "That's Gretchen Wieners. She knows everything about everybody."

"That's why her hair is so big." Damian leaned down beside Cady's ear. "It's full of secrets."

"That girl on the side closest to us is Karen Shetty." Janis rolled her eyes. "She is the dumbest person you'll ever meet."

Cady tilted her head and watched Karen try to drink her bubbly water with a straw...through her nose. "Oh."