Chapter Six

Everything is a disaster here. I felt at loss in myself. And everywhere I went. I had went not much farther from the forest too the village, it was nothing I had ever imagined. Busy streets were everywhere, merchants selling things that had emeralds encrusted in the dresses and bags, houses towered over you, so that the sky was hidden.

I felt like I was back in the castle again. Dark. Scared. Everyone was huddled together, shuffling along the roads trying to get places. The houses were dark, and windows were closed, nailed shut. I heard a scream and looked over to see a Castle guard throwing a woman to the ground, she screamed and begged for mercy, a child was staring in horror from far away. I gasped when I saw the guards face, trying to sprint out of there. My face is posted on almost every wall here, but don't mention that I'm the princess.  They don't want to be embarrassed by their cursed daughter that killed them. They can't see me or I'll die.

I know who he is. Albmer, part of the Royal Guard. He protected my mother, he was kind to me, but I didn't know he was a monster like that. I stop for a moment, I can't even call him a monster. I killed my parents. How am I supposed to live with that? I will. I just will. As I walk through the streets, I feel more and more lost than I already am. Flickering my gaze left to right.

Left to right left to right left to right- "Watch where your going!" an old man says, pushing me. I yelp. "My apologies!" I say, hoping he'll forgive me, I don't have any practice out in the streets. He snorts, "I doubt that." I blink. This may be harder than I thought. Getting up, I lift up the sack of radishes, wincing at the sting it is causing the palms of my hands. I look at one, and see that it is red and swollen already. I probably look like a peasant too. So long as the ache doesn't cause flowers to grow from my skin. That causes me to feel it deeper, just acknowledging it more than I wanted too. 

I continue walking, seeing weird men sharpening knives, women cursing their husbands, and children running around playing. Laughing because they can. Though, I can see their tiny builds. This town hasn't had much food in awhile. I feel a pang of guilt. Irene needed this food more than I did, yet I took it. I am pushed around, getting yelled at for being pushed into people. Soon, I stop apologizing. I need to find an Inn. I try asking around, but they ignore me. Until I see, a maybe kind looking woman selling bundles of apples. I glance around before stopping in front of her, she smiles. "Hello, I was wondering where I could find the nearest Inn." She points farther up the road. "Mai-Mai's Bed and Breakfast, down the road. Look for the large blue building." I smile at her, realizing she must be from the Yeanid Empire, from her dark skin and blue eyes. Walking farther up the road, I pull around the corner, and see a large brick blue painted building with the wooden sign reading:

Mai-Mai's Bed and Breakfast!

I smile, hoping this isn't a mistake. I walk up the steps, and enter. I don't have much to spend with. I frown at the sack of radishes. This may work. I walk up to the front desk, a blonde haired woman looks at me, her gaze full of disapproval. "Hello," I say uncertainly. "I would like a room for one night." She sighs and begins writing down something on a piece of paper. "Name?"

"Uhm, Jorie." She writes it down, and I put the radishes on the desk. Her eyes widen. "I hope this is okay, I don't have any money." She smiles, "so long as its food!" She opens and her smile widens. Handing me a key, she says, "room thirteen."

"Thank you so much!" I truly am so grateful.

I walk down the hall, and stop when I see room thirteen. Turning the key I walk in. Its simple but cozy. The bed is normal with brown sheets. There is a single nightstand, a chamber pot, (which I am highly grateful for) and a window. Though, all I can see is another house. I close the curtains, and light a candle on the night stand. Letting out a breath, I take out the bandana, letting my hair fall around my shoulders. There is on other room that has a tub with running water. My eyes widen even more. That is unusual, especially since there has been a drought. I turn the faucet on and even though the water is cold, It feels nice to have water on my skin. I let it fill up then strip off my dress and step into the water, letting it coat my skin. I wash quickly with the small bar of soap and then step out of the tub. I dry with a towel, and when I leave the bathroom, it is dark outside. I get in the bed, and rather quickly fall asleep.