Chapter 1 - Rodent

note: haerin doesn't show up straight away (i dont want u to think i converted it wrong 😭)

===

"Sakura looks over the top of her computer, eyebrows climbing in disbelief. 'No,' she searches Chaewon's eyes for any traces of dishonesty, and her heart sinks when she finds none. 'Oh my god, you're kidding me,' she groans, taking her hands away from the computer keyboard in favor of threading her fingers through her hair in agitation. 'That's what, the fourth time this year?'

Chaewon nods, letting out a sigh as she pulls back the chair in front of Sakura's desk, sitting herself down on it and crossing her arms. 'Sullyoon said she saw a rat in the canteen this morning. Nothing else has been seen, but you know how it is,' she rolls her eyes. 'Once there's one, there's a whole other family to go along with it.'

'It's the fucking Centre,' Sakura curses, dropping her hands from her scalp and stretching them out in front of her. She keeps reminding herself that she needs to buy a new chair, one that doesn't cause her muscles to ache so much, but it keeps getting pushed to the back of her list of priorities. 'Can't even spare us a bit of funding for pest control, never mind the prevention of crime,' she grunts out, before waving a hand in Chaewon's direction. 'I'm sorry, I shouldn't be ranting to you, it's not very professional, is it?'

Chaewon snorts. 'You know I don't give two fucks about things like that.'

Sakura gives her a wry smile. 'It's not you I'm worried about. Shit, I don't care what you think of me, but what if I slip up in front of someone else? I have to try and convince Eunchae that there's at least some sort of cohesion around here.'

Chaewon hums. 'I suppose so. She should figure out that this place is a shithole on her own rather than by your hands.'

Sakura gives her a warning look, pointing a finger at her. 'Watch it, you,' she leans back, grimacing when her back cracks out of its own accord. Yeah, definitely needs a new chair. 'She's so full of the joys, Eunchae,' she says wistfully. 'She's so eager to do everything, and she works hard too. I swear, if this detective unit were in any other fucking station, we'd be flying it,' she gives her head a gentle shake, positioning her fingers back on the computer keyboard. 'Anyways, I really should be working. What do you need?'

'No, you shouldn't,' Chaewon chides, and points to the clock on the back wall, Sakura turning in her chair to face it. 'We're on break. And if you think I'm going anywhere near that dingy fucking canteen, you've got another thing coming. Eunchae looked traumatized this morning.'

'God,' Sakura mutters, looking at the clock in disbelief. 'It's a good thing you came. I would've just kept on working.'

'I know you would've,' Chaewon stands up, tilting her head in the direction of the door. 'C'mon, we'll go to the café around the corner. My treat.'

Sakura quirks a brow at her. 'It really should be me telling you what to do, not the other way round,' she huffs out, as she follows suit by standing up. She takes her coat from where she'd slung it over the back of her chair and threads her arms through it.

Chaewon laughs. 'When it comes to investigations, perhaps so. But you know full well that when it's lunchtime, you're never really in charge.'

And because Sakura's never been one to argue with fact, she follows Chaewon out the door with a fond smile and a shaking head."

---

"Sakura's coffee, to be frank, tastes like shit. She usually trusts Chaewon's intuition, but she can only do her best with what she's given. The food scene surrounding the station isn't exactly what Sakura would call tasteful, but she's constantly reminded that beggars can't be choosers.