Chapter 7: Food Chain

flashback:

meet me in room 5a at 4:30 after school

Sakura peers down at the crumpled note in her hand, eyes tracing over the messily scribbled words as she arrives in front of the classroom that had been requested of her, peering inside uneasily. It seems to be empty, and although she can't see in very far, she's got a strong inkling that this is going to turn out to be some sort of joke. Looking back over her shoulder from where she'd come from, she sees no one, and is met with silence. To be honest, it doesn't do much to quell her nerves. Crinkling up the note in her fist and stuffing it back into the pocket of her blazer, Sakura tightens her tie just as a subconscious thing, heaves out a slow breath, and enters the classroom.

The door creaks eerily, and Sakura grimaces at the loud sound it makes. The lights aren't on, although they don't really need to be, it's summer and the sunlight filters in quietly from outside, not searingly hot, but just enough to be pleasant. She looks around for any sight of whoever might have called her in here, closing the door gently behind her, and- and then she sees her.

She's an underclassman for sure, Sakura can tell simply by the youthfulness of her features. She's younger than Sakura, with wide eyes and pink lips set in a straight line, with long, dark hair falling dead straight across her shoulders, a little limp looking. Sakura thinks she's seen her a couple times before, in the hallways in between classes, nearly always on her own and avoiding eye contact with everyone wherever possible. She's without her blazer, and her tie now that Sakura thinks of it, and the top button of her shirt is undone.

Being on the student council, the sight of it is already enough to make Sakura a little miffed. It's not that hard to follow the policy, honestly, if anything it requires more effort to rebel against it than to just go along with it like everyone else does. She gives the girl a quick once-over, pressing her lips together. She's already got a fairly good idea of the character she's got just based on this alone.

While the girl's eyes are wide, her entire appearance overall is quite frail and delicate looking, something Sakura doesn't doubt her yearmates envy her for. Her gaze then narrows, and just as Sakura had done to her, her eyes flick down, and then back up again. It's a quick movement, Sakura would've missed it had she not been paying attention, but she just about catches it.

She's got a strong feeling that that had been the girl's intention.

"You're Sakura?" the girl finally speaks. She speaks quietly, in a manner that forces you to strain to hear her, which only irks Sakura further. Yet while her voice is quiet, it's not in the timid sort of manner. It's quiet in a demanding sort of way.

"Mmh," Sakura nods her head. She's never had an underclassman speak to her in this sort of a manner, and if this girl knows who she is then she knows of her status within the school that comes with being on the council. "You're the one who called me here, I'm assuming,"

"Yes," the girl replies, short. "Look, I'm not going to-"

"Ah, wait," Sakura holds up a hand. "Sorry, but look, you know who I am, yeah?"

The girl doesn't reply for a moment or two, clearly not being all too pleased at being cut off in the way she had been. Her lips are still parted, and she closes her mouth slowly, blinking. "Yes," once again, even just that word alone is calm, controlled. "You're Sakura, I just said. You're on the student council,"

Sakura tilts her head to the side, gesturing. "So you're really gonna call in a student council member and not wear the right uniform? I'm really never one to report but like," she shrugs. "Not exactly starting off on the right foot. For whatever you want me for,"