FORTY

"Earth to Monroe, are you even paying attention to the lecture?"

My eyes snap open at Professor Dorthy's voice, and I hurriedly nod my head like I wasn't five seconds away from falling asleep. "I'm paying attention."

She huffed her chest out with a tsking noise. Clearly she wasn't buying my story. Neither would I if I were in her place to be honest.

"Have you been getting enough sleep, young lady? Those bags under your eyes don't look too good."

I shot up in my seat, pulled out my phone and swiped to the camera where I audibly gasped at my reflection. I stayed up all last night thinking about what Ezekiel said. His words played like a haunted melody in my mind.

Atticus, who was in the middle of stretching his arms with a loud yawn, chuckled, earning the attention of our Professor. She snapped her neck to him, narrowing her eyes into a hooded glare.

"Oh come on teach, let her get her beauty rest. You're acting like you're not used to people falling asleep during your lectures."

She gasped. "I'll have you know..."

I tuned them out as I snuck out of the classroom, carrying my belongings in my arms. The hallways were empty when I enter them, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of relief wash over me. Thank god. The last thing I wanted was to bump into someone.

Especially if that someone was Ezekiel. Oh god.

But then, the other, more rational part of me takes a stand. It's fed up with his games, his unreliable promises, and the mess he often brings into my life.

There's a strong desire to distance myself, to break free from the cycle of disappointment that seems to accompany any interaction with him. I don't want to be dragged into whatever drama or chaos he's concocted this time.

But then, the other, more rational part of me takes a stand. It's fed up with his games, his unreliable promises, and the mess he often brings into my life.

There's a strong desire to distance myself, to break free from the cycle of disappointment that seems to accompany any interaction with him. I don't want to be dragged into whatever drama or chaos he's connected this time.

Associating myself with an Ambrose never ends well. I'm speaking from experience when I say that.

I never felt like I truly belonged anywhere. It seemed like my parents were more concerned about helping others than taking care of me. Their attention was always divided, leaving me feeling neglected and invisible. No matter how much I craved their love and support, it always seemed to be in short supply.

At school, my so-called friends were anything but supportive. They treated me like I was disposable, making me question why I even bothered trying to fit in. The constant backstabbing and betrayal made it hard for me to trust anyone. It felt like I was always on the outskirts, looking in at a world that didn't want me.

And then there were my peers, relentless in their cruelty. The bullying was a daily ordeal, a reminder that I was an easy target for their scorn. I tried to stand tall and ignore their taunts, but each insult chipped away at my self-esteem. It felt like I was drowning in a sea of hatred, desperately gasping for air.

In the midst of it all, I longed for someone to see me, to understand the pain I was going through. But as each day passed, I became more invisible, a ghost in a world that seemed determined to erase me.

If it wasn't for Autumn, Cameron and Giselle, I firmly believe I would've ended it all by now. No one would care. Not my parents, not Ezekiel, not even Mia.