5 | Beginning Of An End

The air surrounding lines of newbies in the enormous gathering space of the lounge is thick and weaved with uneasy silence. Harsh fluorescent light cast sharp shadows, shining on top of them as their gazes fixated on a figure climbing up the stage in front of them. Spotlights follow him with every step he takes until he reaches the centre heart of the stage.

"Newbies, I happily welcome you to your very first stage of training."

Mingi startles for a second as he feels something lingering on his shoulder, but the moment his eyes lays on the sight of Wooyoung's arm thrown over around him the fear instantly dissipates. His eyebrows furrow as he throws a slack look. Mingi doesn't have the energy to complain, and somehow he just lets his arm rest on his shoulder.

"The training will consist of three quarters. The first quarter, you'll have to train your designated skills that you have already acquired. As you have already been alerted, VESTRA needs someone who is strong and capable of defending the walls of Astral Ruins, as well as Zuhal District in general. Remember, we are not just finding a cure, we also learn how to fight the crawlers and endure it. This is why we chose you, you're at the age of being capable of adapting to huge changes, both physically and mentally."

The soldier continues to talk as he presses on a button on a screen that appears by his arm, the big screen behind him projecting a graph of something Mingi could hardly make the words of it.

"You must find out your skills, and along the way we will help you to sharpen it. The second quarter of the training will be the test of fear. We call it the Terror Trial. Here, you will be trained to face your deepest fear with the equipment and technology we have. Think of it as a simulation game, and figure out ways to overcome those fears hiding inside you. Remember, emotions are the biggest enemy out of all. It's the first thing that you should focus on getting rid of at these times of war," he stops, as his finger slides over the screen on his arm, changing the projection of the big screen.

"The third quarter, and the very last one, is where both the first two quarters skills will be put on test. It is called the Feast of Fates. I will explain regarding this quarter when the time comes. The only thing you should know about this for now is that we will rank you during the last quarter, to determine which one of you is suitable to be the lucky recipient of the antidote VESTRA has produced."

The soldier then proceeds to rip his mask off his face before handing it to the person next to her. Some gasps fill in the room from the female newbies as the face of the soldier is projected on the big screens.

"Damn."

Yeosang shoots Elenna with a sneering look as the word escapes pass through her lips. She looks at him sheepishly shortly after realising her intrusive thoughts winning over again.

The soldier takes a moment, before he goes for the microphone again.

"My name is Jeong Yunho. I will be your instructor and all of you will be trained under my supervision," he says calmly, "and I only have one rule. One that you have to remember for the rest of your life.."

A little smirk appear on his face.

"Do not ask any questions."

Whispers fill in the room as he finishes talking. His demanding tone raises questions inside the mind of the newbies as they shift uncomfortably. Yunho retreats the stairs of the stage and walks towards to stand in front of them. He takes his time to look at each one of them, as if memorising their faces by one look. He then claps his hand a few times, before his voice reaches their eardrums again.

"Alright, everyone! You see those scoreboards right there?"

Their faces turn to the screen displaying a scoreboard on the other end of the lounge.