7 | Shattered Unity

It has been hours since the last announcement.

It has also been hours since they've last eaten, since there was no food prepared for them in the lounge. Only boxes of water bottle are stocked up for the newbies as they train, filling in their days with punching, kicking, throwing and everything that can defend them when the time comes. Not even the shadow of the soldier that claimed to be their leader was seen.

San has already stopped running, finding solace sitting away from the rest of the group members. With the time that they have, Elenna manages to gather all of them in a circle, save for San who politely refuses. They sit together and start to tell one another things before they are taken into VESTRA. San only watches from the corner, massaging his legs as he keeps his eyes on them.

"I was a student, studying here in Zuhal District before the outbreak of the virus. The last time I went home was three years ago to see my late father. Never thought it would be the last time I'd seen him," Wooyoung utters, his eyes moving around to see each of their faces. He lets out a cough, continuing, "we lived in Ezsar District for the longest time before I got an offer to study here. My brother didn't think it was a good idea until father told him he'll let him inherit all of his remaining assets if he let me go. I guess assets were more valuable than a younger brother though."

All of them are silent as Wooyoung speaks and he can see them already giving him a sympathetic look. He chuckles lightly, "I'm not surprised either way cause it has been my dream to further my study out of my district. It was fine until I heard about the virus reaching into Ezsar. I tried calling my father but he never responded. I had my hopes in me that he was still alive until I saw my brother, all drenching in blood and wounded, stepping into my dormitory with a rifle slung over his body."

Elenna eyes Jongho who is sitting beside him, signalling him to offer some comfort towards Wooyoung. Jongho is reluctant, but he still reaches Wooyoung's back and pat him gently. Wooyoung only chuckles as a tear appears between his eyelids that he wipes off quickly.

"What happened to him?" Arin asks, out of the blue.

Wooyoung turns to her, cocking up an eyebrow which Arin merely shrugs, wanting an answer. The others stare unbelievably at Arin but she pays no mind. Her eyes are still on him, waiting if he's willing to answer her question.

"You know what happened. He was infected."

"And you killed him?"

"Arin!" Mingi says in a hushed tone as he looks at her weirdly. Arin doesn't turn away from Wooyoung's gaze, still searching for something within him.

"You think I did?" he asks, and for the first time Elenna and Mingi could see no sign of joy in Wooyoung. He's all tensed up, triggered from what Arin has to say.

"I'm not surprised if you say yes."

"I think we should move on to the next person. Arin, you can tell us anything," Elenna intervenes, trying to shake off the atmosphere that is already tensing up. She looks at Arin with a pleading eyes, silently hoping she would stop.

"I don't blame you," Arin murmurs, finally breaking the eye contact she holds onto Wooyoung, "you did what you had to do. I respect you for it."

The anger building up in him is instantly extinguished as he hears her. Wooyoung feels his heart sink at the thought of it, before he turns away, wiping more of his tears that stream down his cheek. That one sentence broke him into pieces as he sobs, having his head hang down while his hands covering his face. His body shakes, and each time he tries to breathe he feels it piercing into his heart. The memories of his youth, his father and his brother.