Chapter 1

All the time, people talk about death. Sometimes it's unintentional, sometimes they are interested in death themselves. Sometimes it's through song. But you sort of stop talking about it once it actually happens.

I don't know what I was expecting when I died, but it certainly wasn't this. I made it to a good college and was on my way to make or star in films, not get caught in a shooting.

This isn't fair.

But this place is beautiful. Dirty, disgusting, gross, full of rude sinners, but it's alive. Everything is bright and loud, like everyone's celebrating the fact that end of their life wasn't really the end.

Sure, I'm freaking out about how gross it is, and everything is overwhelming, but I can't help but marvel at it all.

And I know this isn't how I should be thinking, and definitely not what most think, but before anything else I need a home and a stable source of income.

It's a harsh fact, but money is power. And until I learn the rules of this place, I'll stick to that fact.

So, when I came across a bustling town, I walked in, holding my arms close to my torso as I journeyed further into the small town.

The crowd was all gathered at a large building near the center, so I went there. Maybe someone here can help me. Coming closer to the door, the crowd seemed to notice I wasn't a resident, but I pretended their beady-eyes stares didn't send a shiver down my spine.

Once I reached the reception desk, I noticed that was where the line was headed, so I sighed and turned to leave. Then a voice rang out.

"Hey, you! You don't look like you're from around here. Do you need any help sweetie?" A loud feminine voice echoed in the room, most of the chatter practically silencing. The woman behind the reception deck swooped up her skirts and moved out from behind the table.

"You look lost, are you alright?" She asked me, leaning over slightly as if she were talking to a child. She was freakishly tall, but in a good way. It made her look regal, and the large brimmed hat with a massive feather accenting it helped that image as well.

I meekly nodded, not really sure what to do.

"Yes, I just got here and I don't know how this works-" I tried explaining my situation when she cut me off with a gasp.

"Oh you poor dear! And today of all days! We have to get you cleaned up and fast!" She exclaimed, rushing up and grabbing my wrist before dragging me behind her like limp doll.

"Wha- what do you mean 'today of all days'? I don't know what's going on here!" I stated as she pulled me into a small sitting room and sat me down in front of a small coffee table in an extremely comfortable chair.

The woman sighed.

"Sweetie, this is going to come off a bit strong, but you're in hell, and every year the angels come down from heaven to exterminate as many demons as possible. Like population control." She explained, a somber tone to her voice. "Oh! I almost forgot! I'm Rosie, the owner of this fine establishment and Overlord of hell! Who might you be?"

I blinked. What? Angels exterminating demons? This goes against all that Christian stuff my parents practically drilled into my head. But oh well. I can ask in a second.

"Well I- ...you can just call me Nyx I suppose." I told her, deciding my middle name would probably be better for now. I don't know how things work here, and I don't know who to trust.

"Well, it's lovely to meet you sweetie. Now, today is a week before extermination day, so we here in Cannibal Town start prepping beforehand. We have all families, injured, elderly, and children moved to the fallout bunker under this salon, and the rest hide in their own basements. It's a good system, and the casualties here have gone down since we implemented this system." Rosie explained, gesturing around her for emphasis. I nodded along.