Chapter 2

Nope, no, no nononononoono this is bad. I thought it would be easy but it wasn't. I wish I could pretend I didn't walk into the lobby of that building and bump right into someone, but I did. That was so embarrassing.

The woman I bumped into had her hair woven into red, black, and white box braids that were all pulled up into a sleek ponytail on the back of her head. She had a trail of girls holding dresses and fabrics behind her and a few in her hands, all of them being loudly judged.

And I bumped right into her. Both of us went crashing down. So, of course I panicked.

"Oh my gods, I am so sorry!" I snapped out of my trip-induced daze before the woman could say anything (she looked like she was about to yell), and I grabbed her hands before hastily hoisting her off the ground and grabbing the things she was holding.

I handed back the two dresses, one of them goofy and long, the other short and covered in sequins. They were gorgeous. She had also dropped her phone, so I handed that back to her as well. The hoard or women walking behind her looked frozen in terror, but I pretended to pay them no mind.

I was secretly freaking out. Who did I just knock down?!?!

"I am so so so sorry about that, are you alright? I'm not even going to make an excuse, I wasn't paying any attention to where I was going and- oh my god I'm so sorry!" I practically stammered out, the thoughts of trying to get a job interview now in the back of my mind.

The woman just rolled her eyes.

"For gods sakes, stop apologizing, you're makin' a scene. You clearly haven't been in hell long, so why are you here?" The woman interrupted me, tossing the dresses to the side and leaving the nearest girl to rush up and catch them before they hit the floor. She started scrolling on her phone.

My jaw dropped. She cut right to the chase. Okay then.

"Since the extermination just happened, I thought now might be a good time to look for a stable source of income. I died before I could have a professional job interview though, so I have no clue what I'm doing." I sheepishly muttered out my reasoning, not sure if the woman heard me, but she seemed to nod along.

"Uh-huh. Yeah, alright. Follow me then." She said, snapping her fingers and the crowd behind her followed as she made her way to the large elevators to the side of the lobby. One of the women handed me the previously tossed dresses.

I stood in surprise for a second before I heard her shout out again.

"Well I haven't got all day, hurry up!" Her voice resonated through the lobby, making me scramble to get inside the elevator before the doors closed.

During the ride up, it was silent aside from the sounds coming from the woman's phone. Her gray skin took on a slight tint of ghostly blue as she stared down at her phone.

Once the elevator opened, me and the group were revealed to a large room with red accents, filled with women and men, all varying in appearances and body types, working hard. The multi-hair-colored woman exited first, the group of women I somehow managed to become a part of close behind.

"So, you with the bland outfit. What can you do exactly?" The woman questioned while the women in the group went to hang up all the dresses, probably for her to inspect.

"Well, I can act a little bit, I'm not too bad on a stage or behind a camera, and I can operate a photography camera or a film camera decently enough. Is there anything specific I should be good at?" I added that last sentence on a whim and partially because I'm 27% people pleaser. It comes with being somewhat neurodivergent, like a package deal no one asked for.