Dragonstone

"I should have your heads! I should have you both thrown in the dungeon for sedition!" Rhaenyra couldn't help but note the spittle that flew from King Viserys mouth as he shouted at them, pacing back and forth in front of the Iron Throne. The princess didn't flinch at her father's anger though; she had expected it. She had grown quite accustomed to his yelling over the last few years, ever since she had been named as his heir.

"Sedition of what?" Daemon countered sarcastically taking an unbothered step toward his brother, "A last minute alliance, only decided to save yourself from your own mistake?" The princess fought the urge to smirk at the mocking comment.

"It's true, father," she interjected softly, "You spurned house Velaryon by choosing someone who you thought could make you happy; now I'm committing a crime by doing the same?" Rhaenyra asked.

"You will be silent!" The king yelled. The princess did so, clenching her jaw stubbornly and glaring up at her father. "You both knew what this alliance meant to us, to the crown! Are you going to be the one to tell Lord Corlys that his son isn't good enough for you to marry? After Laenor just lost a dear friend?"

Rhaenyra had learned the full extent of Sir Criston's attack only when they had returned to her father. While she empathized with Laenor's sorrow, nothing she could have done would make up for his loss and marrying her was likely the last thing on his mind at the moment.

"Father, Laenor is a fine enough man, but—"

"I said silence, Rhaenyra!" Viserys bellowed. The princess bit her lip and finally stepped back, loathing the way being chastised made her feel. Daemon squeezed her hand in reassurance then took another step toward the throne.

"I will be the one to give you the truth, then, brother." Daemon offered, staring Viserys in the eyes, "No matter who you would pick as a match for my niece, none of them would ever suffice. All of them would seek to cage her; she is a dragon and I mean to see her fly." Rhaenyra felt a small swell of pride in her chest at her uncle's words.

"I know exactly what you mean to see, brother, and it is only a vision for yourself," the king ground out between clenched teeth, "Out, out with you both! I care not where the pair of you go, just get out, before I make you a head shorter, Daemon!"  The prince was unaffected by the threat and threw Viserys a victorious smirk, before leading Rhaenyra from the throne room.

The princess glanced back over her shoulder at her father, feeling a sudden twinge of guilt as he sagged into the seat of the Iron Throne. She knew in her gut that the prospect of cleaning up her mess surely left him feeling defeated.

"He will forgive us both in time, little dragon. Don't fret." Daemon reassured her softly before kissing her temple. She leaned against him, the warmth of his body giving her a small amount comfort in the wake of the chaos they had created.

After ordering her things be sent to Dragonstone, Rhaenyra and Daemon made their way to the Dragonpit and Caraxes and Syrax. The princess took a deep breath of the coastal air and smiled as her dragon surged into the skies and followed her husband to their new home...

The flight from King's landing was short, but the princess had more than enough on her mind to keep her company the entire way. Rhaenyra had never been one of those silly young maidens who planned their wedding years before it ever happened, but she'd never imagined hers would end with her being banished from the Red Keep by the King.

She felt little guilt for tying herself to Daemon. After all, Targaryens had been wedding each other for centuries to keep the bloodline pure; far longer than they'd even inhabited Westeros. Dragons were meant to be with dragons, and her uncle was the only one who understood her deepest dreams and desires; things that both Laenor and Ser Criston could never fathom.