iv.

When Cassia woke up, she could tell she was in a tent of some kind

When Cassia woke up, she could tell she was in a tent of some kind. She stood up from what she figured was a cot and grabbed Dream Eater (still in sword form) from off of the table next to her.

The cold darkness that had surrounded her when she fell unconscious earlier was still present, so she hadn't been asleep for too long. She saw Percy sulking, Thalia standing motionlessly with wolves who weren't there before, and Grover talking to Nico a little ways away. However she didn't seem to see Annabeth. Strange.

She felt a nudge on her side and glanced in that direction. Roy sat there, staring at her, dark brown fixed with pale blue. Cassia pet the hellhound's fluffy head before thinking of Dream Eater in hairpin form, watching it shrink back to the simple insect hairpin. She slipped it back into her hair and approached Percy.

"Hey, what happened while I was asleep?" She said, startling the boy. A look of relief washed over him as he looked at her.

"Oh, uh—" he didn't get to finish because the girl cut him off. "Where's Annie? I haven't seen her yet. I needed to talk to her about my dream."

A pained look took over the son of Poseidon, and Cassia knew something was wrong. "What's wrong? Where is she?"

She looked down and saw him holding the New York Yankees baseball cap, but it wasn't just any Yankees cap, it was Annabeth's cap. Her heart sank and her tone grew sterner.

"Where is she?" Cassia repeated. Before Percy could answer, Grover and Nico came back from their walk, and Grover helped fix up Percy's arm.

"It's green!" Nico said with delight.

"Yeah, well, that's what happens when you get injured by a manticore." Cassia grumbled. She'd pieced together what happened to her friend. Annabeth wasn't there to stop her anymore.

"Hold still," Grover said to Percy. He didn't dare look at the daughter of Hypnos. "Here, eat some ambrosia while I clean that out."

A Hunter (who's presence made the girl realize that the Hunters of Artemis were there) brought Cassia her backpack and skateboard (which solved one of her worries) and watched as Nico rummaged through his own bag and dumped out a bunch of figurines in the snow—small replicas of Greek gods and heroes. Cassia kneeled down next to him and asked, "Do you have Hypnos?"

"Huh? Oh! Yeah, see?" He pointed to a figurine that had brown curly hair with two wings on both sides of his head and holding a branch that looked as if it were dipped in the river Lethe. "That's your dad, right? He only has six hundred attack points and is actually really weak, but he's cool! I even have his holographic card! I have two of his set though because someone didn't want it, so you can have it if you want."

The brunette grimaced when she heard him say her father was weak. Sure, it was just a game. Sure, it wasn't really true. It still bugged her though. Still she accepted the offer and thought about how she'd present it to her sister.