Chapter Twenty-five

Lela was still in a daze an hour after Molly left. The phone rang, shocking her out of her stupor, and she got up to answer it. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's me. Sorry about not answering earlier, we were at our fishing spot near Allenspark and cellphone reception is shit up there."

Would've been nice if you'd left a note. "Are you on your way home?"

The long silence on the other end made her wonder if he'd lost signal. "Um. Not yet. The boys and I are... gonna hang out awhile longer. We'll bring back dinner, okay?"

"I guess I'll see you at dinner then." She hung up the phone, knowing she'd probably cut him off, but didn't care. She stomped into her bedroom and grabbed her laptop. Her fingers were itching to write an angry letter to her Superman, and her mood when she was finished would determine if she'd share it with him or delete it.

Lela was laying in the tub, listening to music and starting on her second glass of wine when she heard the door to the bedroom open and then close. Writing out her feelings had always helped calm her down, and she was in a much better mood now. She wasn't sure if she should holler something from the bathroom or wait for him to come in.

He decided for her by opening the bathroom door and closing it behind him. He crossed his arms over his chest. "I don't like when people hang up on me."

Her good mood soured. She sat up, splashing water down the side of the tub. "I don't like when people disappear on me." She crossed her arms, imitating him.

He stared at her.

She glared right back.

Her shiver broke the spell. Handing her the towel off of the hook by the tub, he held out his hand for her to hold as she stepped out of the bath. She toweled off and slipped on her robe, aware he was watching her. She turned to find him leaning back against the door to the bathroom. He didn't move when she approached.

"Nope. Not till we talk about this."

She turned away from him and took a seat on the counter, crossing her legs. "All right then, talk."

"I know you're mad at me for not leaving a note, and I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. I couldn't sleep last night after everything, and I guess neither could Colin and T. We were all up early and decided to go fishing. I hadn't intended on being out there so long, but we got to talking about what happened, and they're both really upset—"

"I can understand that, but I'm upset too."

He crossed over to where she sat and wrapped her in one of his bear hugs. He sighed into her hair. "I know. I'm... well..."

She pulled away. "You're what?" Panic swelled in her chest.

"I just can't believe my family did that, on a holiday, in front of your kids. Are they all right?"

"Not really. We had a long conversation this morning. They cut their trip short, given the circumstances."

"Shit. So they know? About us? Before?"

"Well last night's argument over dinner made it a forgone conclusion. I told them the truth after everyone else left the barn." She shook her head and shrugged. "I should've told them ages ago, but the truth is, I was chicken. I knew they'd be upset, and selfishly, I wanted to have as much time with them not knowing as I could. They know now, which is hard, but also a relief."

Nathan wiped away the tears from her cheeks. "I'm sorry, baby."

"Thanks." She hopped down from the counter to grab a tissue to blow her nose. "So how was your day?"