Chapter 7: Different Fangs

Back in Kuo Kuana, Blake was standing on a second-story deck outside her father's office.

She recalled that Saul, the leader of the Aldecaldos, was talking to her father. Knowing two different leaders from different factions were meeting, even when one side was a nomad group and the other side was a political figure, made Blake curious about the nature of their discussion.

"You know, you can always go in and say hi," Kali said as she was carrying a tray with a tea set on it.

"I don't want to bother them," Blake replied, glancing back at her father's closed office door.

"A father's never too busy for his daughter, and a friend of your friend is always welcome," Kali said. "Plus, it might be interesting to see how these two leaders interact and what they discuss."

Blake considered her mother's words and nodded.

Kali kissed Blake on the cheek and handed her the tray.

"Here," Kali said.

Blake accepted it but was a bit taken aback by it being handed to her.

"What? Where are you going?" Blake asked, confused by her mother's sudden departure.

"You've never been very talkative, but that boy you brought home loves to run his mouth. I want to hear more about the adventures of Team RWBY and those nomads that were hired to help us, especially since they're telling stories of their past."

As Kali walked away, Ghira spoke from the room.

"Kali? Is that you, dear?" he said.

Blake got nervous about talking to her father since she had been distant from him for a long time.

She then took a breath and opened the door to see her father and Saul discussing something in hushed tones. Saul, being the leader of the nomads, had a commanding presence that demanded attention. Blake hesitated for a moment, unsure if she should interrupt their conversation or wait for them to finish.

However, her father noticed her.

"Blake! Well, this is a pleasant surprise," he said with a warm smile.

"Hey kid," Saul said, giving her a nod of acknowledgement.

Blake felt relieved but nervous. "I..." she could muster.

"Please, come sit," Ghira said as he stood up from his chair.

Soon Blake, Ghira, and Saul moved to the lounge area, and Blake set the tea set at the end where her father sits.

As they settled into the lounge area, Blake couldn't help but notice the tension in the air. She wondered if her father and Saul had been discussing something important before she arrived.

"Don't worry, I've got it. Sit down, sit down." Ghira said, hoping to help her with the tray.

"I don't wanna keep you if you're-" Blake said.

"Nonsense, me and Saul have been cooped up in the study all day. We could use a break," Ghira interrupted with a reassuring smile as he poured tea into the cups.

"Yeah, I'm not so good at sitting still for long periods of time," Saul added, chuckling. "I prefer to be up and moving around."

Blake nodded in understanding, grateful for the light-hearted comment that eased some of the tension in the room.

Ghira then placed a sugar cube in Blake's cup. "You still take sugar, right?" he asked.

"Oh, actually," Blake could say.