Chapter 3

A blaring alarm woke Gon and Killua for the day. The two boys groaned as they got out of bed. The longer they were here, the more they started regretting their choices to accept the mission. This has been the most bored they have been in years. Due to the stipulations of them coming to a new world, they weren't allowed to do anything. They were purely here for face. "What do you think we'll be doing today?" Gon asked as they walked up a mountain.

"I don't know. Probably something boring." Killua watched as Sugino attempted to kill the octopus. "Y'know the funnest part about all this is getting to watch half assed assassination attempts." Killua's statement caused Sugino to turn his head.

"You haven't even tried to kill him yet, so don't be talking so high and mighty."

"You're right. Wish I could. He seems like a fun target." Killua continued walking with Gon slightly in front. When they arrived in the classroom, they took their seats at the back of the class and listened to the lectures that fell into the schedule.

When lunch came, Karasuma walked into the room. "Children, any progress on killing the tentacle menace."

"Define progress." Nagisa said, causing the whole class' mood to go down.

"What do you expect? I still don't understand why you guys thought that giving this job to junior high kids was a good idea." Killua's voice caused the room to gasp.

"He's right. Have any of you guys even held a gun before?" Gon asked.

"This is E-class. Lower your expectations." A girl said.

"With all due respect sir. How are we supposed to kill him? I mean, you said so yourself. He tops out at mach 20." Someone else said.

"I don't know, but you better figure it out. You're the only hope we got. He teaches willingly. Putting himself in the line of fire by choice. If we allow that creature to live, come March Earth will be totally annihilated. If you need a reminder of how powerful he is, take a look at our moon. In short, he's too dangerous to take lightly. That's why this classroom is the last line between mankind and extinction." Karasuma left, causing idle chatter to pick back up again. The class had more or less totally ignored Killua and Gon. They really only talked to each other. Granted, Gon would talk to anyone if they approached him.

At the end of the day Karasuma approached the two boys. He had noticed their lack of assassination attempts. "Are you guys even planning an attempt?" Karasuma stopped the boys as they went to walk out of the classroom.

"We have orders not to." Killua tried to push past Karasuma, but was stopped. Killua could use force to get Karasuma out of the way, but they had an advantage right now. The government and everyone else who knew about Gon and Killua's existence assumed that the two were weak. This notion could prove useful.

"Why would they do that? Do they not understand the gravity of this situation?"

"Of course Cheadle understands the gravity of this situation. She said that you guys got yourself into this mess, so you guys have to get yourself out. We are simply here as a last resort."

"How will you kill the octopus without trial and error. Not even our government is strong enough to kill him."

"Do you really think our government would send people who couldn't stand on their own in battle? Come on, we're not that stupid." Killua slipped under Karasuma, ending up behind him. "We have to get going now. Come on Gon."

"Bye Mr. Karasuma!" Gon waved excitedly.

The following day

Killua was sitting with Gon during lunch. Gon's aura had returned to normal, and according to rumors, Gon was even stronger than he had been before the fight with Pitou. "Gon." Killua said as Gon perked his head up from his lunch, signaling Killua to continue. "How did you get your nen back?" Gon thought for a second.

"I'm not sure." Gon said. Killua saw right through the answer.

"How are you not sure? You had to have gotten it back somehow." Killua's voice dropped.

"It's kinda hard to explain." Gon started.

"You know what everyone is saying right?" Gon finally looked Killua in the eyes. "They're saying you're stronger than you have ever been. How do you do that with no plans? You don't. Now stop being evasive and answer the damn question." Killua's voice raised steadily throughout the tangent, drawing the attention of other people in class 3-E. Gon looked around the classroom, causing the class to slowly return to normal. His normal energetic behavior was slightly diminishing.

Gon sighed. "When I went to see Ging on the world tree he said that I would be dead if I didn't have any nen left. He said I was basically back to square one with my nen progress." Gon's voice stayed monotone. Killua nodded. "I asked him how I could get my nen back, and he said I should open them through meditation. Ging said I should go to the dark continent and awaken my nen there and train by slowly going deeper into the continent."

"You didn't actually go to the dark continent without nen." Gon nodded.

"I trained in the dark continent to get my nen back, and I trained to become strong enough. Strong enough to where I could beat Pitou with my own strength." Killua looked at Gon. It was unthinkable for anyone without nen to go to the dark continent, let alone survive. Gon's unpredictable nature continued to surprise Killua, along with other hunters.

Last night

"Just who did you send over?" Karasuma was talking to Cheadle. Cheadle is the official guardian of Gon and Killua here, so Karasuma was to touch base with Cheadle on any issues the boys may have. The current problem is that Karasuma is starting to believe the Hunter Association sent the boys over because they were so dangerous. He thinks that the Hunter Association wants them out of their hair for a little bit.

"What do you mean?" Cheadle asks.

"We agreed that you would send over people fit for a classroom environment."

"What is it with you people? Gon and Killua are the only kids we have that fit that criteria."

"Then why was sending them less than ideal? I believe those are the words you used."

"Let me remind you that you guys are the ones who made a creature so powerful that not even the creator can contain and neutralize it. I didn't want to send someone over who could kill the creature. I wanted to send a teacher that could teach your students how to kill someone stronger than they are. Unfortunately, everyone refused."

"Aren't you the one in power? Force a teacher to come."

"We have purposely not been telling you much about our world, but I'll let you know a little so you can better understand what type of world Gon and Killua are coming from." Cheadle cleared her throat. "The Hunter Association is not the government of the world, or countries for that matter. We have diplomats for that. Think of the association more as a military. The work of hunters benefits the world, and are the cream of the crop when it comes to strength. Be it intellectual, physical or any other type of strength."

"I still don't see why you can't order someone to come here if this association is like a military."

"We differ from the military in that we don't really give our employees rules, let alone missions. Hunters do whatever they want, whenever they want, and their status gives them a life of luxury no matter where they go. Because of this system, when I tried giving hunters a mission where they would have to follow a strict set of rules, everyone declined. I'm sure Killua would've declined as well if it weren't for Gon's eagerness to go."

"Why do you have such young kids working for the military?"

"Don't compare our two worlds. We are vastly different." Cheadle said, finishing up the conversation. "I'm going to send a pro hunter in a month to check in on the progress. Be ready for them." Cheadle hung up. This is so bothersome.