03

i'm walking along the beach and i feel eyes on me but when i look around, nobody is there, then in bump into someone.

"oh, i'm so sorry!" i say and they turn around and it's rafe, "oh, rafe, hi."

"we have got to stop meeting like this." he jokes and i laugh.

"yeah, we gotta." i smile and i rub my arm, "so, what you doing here?"

"i'm with my sister, she's..she's in the sea." he says and points to a girl with dark hair in the sea.

"oh, right!" i say and smile.

"what about you?" he asks and we walk along the beach together.

"um..just clearing my head." i say and nod, looking over.

"what's bothering you? the love of your life?" he asks and i laugh softly, shaking my head.

"no, i think i'm getting over him." i laugh, "it's my dad. my grandma is coming to the island this weekend and she hates that im half pogue half kook." i say and he nods.

"im sorry." he says and i shake my head.

"it's okay, it's just a weekend, i can get through it." i joke, "she hates my guts."

"why? you seem great! you're funny and kind and beautiful." he compliments and i smile.

"i don't know. i have pogue friends, my moms a pogue, i didn't go to college, i have no boyfriend." i list and sigh, "im a disappointment to her."

"you don't just have pogue friends, you have some kook friends." he says and i look up at him and frown.

"sarah is my only kook friend." i say and he shakes his head.

"im your friend." he says and i raise my brows.

"you consider me a friend?" i ask and smile.

"yeah, i don't hook up with most friends but.." he jokes and i laugh, shaking my head.

"well, im glad that you consider me a friend." i smile up at him and maintain eye contact, the girl coming over and asking for her towel that rafe is holding on his shoulder.

"hey." she says and i smile, and nod.

"hey." i say and she looks to rafe and widens her eyes with a smirk, heading over to their bags.

"she's cool." i say and watch her and look back to him.

"she's alright. she can get annoying sometimes." he says and we slowly walk.

"i wish i had a younger sister. they seem cool." i say and smile, looking down.

"by all means, take her." he jokes and i laugh, looking up.

we continue to joke and laugh until wheezie complains she's cold and wants to go home.

"want a ride?" he asks and i shake my head.

"i'm okay, my car is in the parking lot." i smile and nod, and he nods.

"alright. i'll-we can talk later?" he offers and i nod.

"i'd like that..see ya! bye, wheezie." i say and wave them off, continuing to walk along the beach and think about rafe. he seems sweet, he doesn't seem like a jerk at all.

maybe he isn't as bad as i assumed.