Chapter 1: Memories and the Facility

"잠깐만요, 얼마나 많은 언어를 구사하시나요? (Wait, how many languages do you speak?)" She asks me.

"4. 영어, 중국어, 일본어, 그리고 약간의 한국어 (4. English, Chinese, Korean, and a little bit of Japanese.)"

Her eyes light up.

"정말 멋지네요! 이미 많은 언어가 있다는 것을 어떻게 알 수 있습니까? 우리는 나이가 같아 보인다. (That's so cool! How do you know that many languages already though? We look about the same age.)"

"부모님은 제가 많은 언어를 알기를 원하셨기 때문에 영어를 마스터한 후에 더 많은 것을 가르쳐 주셨습니다. (My parents wanted me to know a lot of languages, so they taught me a couple after I mastered English.)"

"영어가 모국어입니까? (Is English your first language?)"

"Yup, the moment I learned the word 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' they started me on Chinese."

The girl just looks at me. Guess she really doesn't know English.

"예 (Yes)" I'll just speak in Korean from now on.

...

"영어를 배워야 할 것 같아요. (I think I need to learn English.)" She throws out.

"무엇을 위해? 한국을 떠난다고요? (Why? Do you plan on leaving Korea?)"

"한국을 떠나고 싶지 않아요. 하지만 정말 도움이 될 것 같아요. (I don't want to leave Korea. But I think it would really help.)" She explains, "제 말은, 저를 제외한 거의 모든 사람들이 영어를 구사합니다. (I mean, almost everyone here speaks English except me.)"

Here, this place. They really must be rounding up every kid who got those powers, I thought it was just people from the U.S.

Why though? I mean, I get having 13-year-olds running around with powers is an easy way to burn down some buildings, but there's not just people in my age range. There look to be some 2nd or 3rd graders here, and some high schoolers as well.

What's going to happen to us?

"야구를 하고 싶습니까? (Want to play baseball?)" The girl asks me.

I always saw her around the facility by herself, she looked really pitiful. But once I got this baseball bat and started just hitting a ball against the wall, she came up and started talking with me.

Pretty nice coincidence, that I was taught Korean and all that.

"예, 타격 또는 투구를 원하십니까? (Yeah, do you want to hit or pitch?)" I grab the bat.

"음조. (Pitch)" She smiles at me saying that.

If she uses her powers again, I swear.

We get up and I get into my stance. It's a bit open, but I can hit bombs with it, so who cares?

She gets into her pitching stance. It's not really a stance, and she can't really throw, but her power makes the ball go really fast for some reason, so it works.

The moment she throws a pitch without her powers, I'm hitting it through the roof.

"준비된? (Ready?)" She smiles and activates her powers I think.

"나는 당신의 힘을 사용할 것입니다, 당신은 내가 그들 없이 1마일을 칠 수 있을까 두렵습니까? (Using your powers huh, scared I'll hit it a mile without them?)"