Eugene

April 10, 1912 England

This is the story of how I-you know what? I was in the Titanic. But don't worry it's not as bad as it looks. I don't want to bore you, so I'll get to the point. I'll tell you a little backstory even if I don't do backstory.

I never knew my parents, the only thing I ever knew was I was an orphan in England. I had to steal for a living, I was too young to work when I escaped the orphanage. Sure it wasn't good to steal and yet I didn't have an option besides I was very good at it. When I was 4, I was old enough to work. I tried to find a good one but this proved impossible. I never went to school so the jobs options were very limited to:

NewsieTextile factoryCoal mineGlass factoryCanneries

I tried some of those jobs but the conditions were horrible. The coal mines were WAY too dangerous. kids died in front of me. Crushed by rocks, I didn't sleep for many days remembering those screams, boys and girls asking for their mother, gasping as they lost more and more blood and limbs. I remember sisters and brothers crying, holding their siblings tighter asking them to not leave them. And then dying and thinking, "God are you out there? Can you hear me? One of them could have been me. Why did you let me live, what is my purpose?"

The factories were slightly safer but still dangerous. Some of the machines could cut your arm off if you weren't too careful. I worked three years jumping from jobs from coal mines to glass factories. The job that I did more often was newsie. I sold papers from sunrise to sundown. But it was very tough, I was tired of the same "extra, extra" or the "would you like to buy a pape Mister? So my thieving days came back. I used the name "Flynn Rider" like my favorite novel series Flynnigan Rider and my Newsie name.

You want to know the best thing I stole? No... Well I'll tell you anyway it was a beautiful silver ring with swirls and diamonds, it was circular and it had an almost flower in the center. I was pretty sure that the rich lady didn't need it so I took it. I swore to myself that I wouldn't sell it unless it was my absolute last resort.

Since my childhood I always dreamt of America. The land of opportunities and second chances. So I made a choice between this hard life with a ring or a life full of opportunities without the ring. So I decided to sell the ring, and I knew who would buy it. The Baron. Even if he wasn't a Baron, people still call him that. I knew the Baron, in fact I dated and nearly married his daughter. She didn't love me much and I didn't feel ready to marry so I left her at the altar. This pissed them off... A LOT! But I knew he would buy it. So with one of my famous disguises I sold the ring for a Titanic first class ticket and two-thousand american dollars. At the end though I stole the ring back.

Hey, stop staring like that! I had reasons, oh you want one well... I heard Stallion (my ex) say that if she ever found me she would break some bones! Plus he is a multi millionaire he doesn't need it, he can just say "Hey, I want a ring. GO AND GET IT!" End of story. So once I sold it, I stole it back. Then I went to the Titanic. Our story begins in the smoke room...

The smoke room was a fantastic place for playing cards, of course I had my ways of playing (wink, wink) if you get what I mean. When I get to the room I think who is a worthy opponent. Scratch that, who is rich enough to play and who I can get more out of. I noticed a fine gentleman, definitely first class, he had a perfectly iron gray coat, machining pants. Fair complexion, earthy brown eyes, black hair.. The only thing out of place was he had a bun and a beard which, let's be honest it's not fashionable at all! His eyebrows were asymmetrical! He was definitely not handsome.

 The only thing out of place was he had a bun and a beard which, let's be honest it's not fashionable at all! His eyebrows were asymmetrical! He was definitely not handsome

Still, I chose him as my next victim... I-uh mean opponent. I made my way to him and "accidentally" spilled some water on his coat.

"Watch it! this is my new coat." The man said, as he dried himself.

"I'm so sorry sir," I answered, with a hand in my heart. "Is there any way I can fix this?"

I added sounding as worried as possible without exaggerating anything.

"No, no it's fine... hey I was going to look for someone to play a game of poker with, would you care to join me?" He said.

Yes!, I thought, he played card games. Let's hope he doesn't expect the aces up my sleeves... literally.

"I would be honored to play a match against you." I said as I made a mental strategy of how I would beat him.

We made our way to a table, it was by some beautiful stained glass windows. Since I don't want to bore you with the rules I'll make it quick, whoever has the bigger hand of cards wins, you make bets and try to keep a straight face. Of course you don't get the bigger hand every time so you have to have aces up your sleeves. So we started playing, I actually lost many times... on purpose. You see if I lose a bunch of times he will not expect me to try tricks or he'll think I simply don't know how to play.

"I won again, I think you are out of money. Flynn." Andrew said in a matter of factly tone.

"Well, I have this ring. We can play the ring for all of what you have won, how does that sound? Andrew." I said. The ring was the one I had stolen from the Baron.

"That sounds perfect," he said.

We played and Andrew had a hand of kings. "Well what do you have Flynn?" He said with a wicked smile.

"Unfortunately I only have two pairs, but the same kind of pairs, one pair of aces and another pair of aces." I said.

I actually didn't have them, I just switched them. Andrew's face was red with anger, he just smashed his fist on the table. I just smile.

"Would you like to play again?" Andrew said with a "charming" smile.

"No thanks, but good game" I said, shaking his hand as we shook hands. He put his hand in my sleeve and got a few cards out. I should have known.

"You are nothing but a petty street rat, I should have known for your ridiculous outfit and that unfashionable goatee." He said through gritted teeth.

I already had all the money in my satchel so I made a run for it. My footsteps echo through the walls as my breaths became quicker and quicker. It was pretty crowded, but I was used to running through the busy streets of Belfast. Eventually I lost Andrew and ended up... who knows where in the Titanic, it's ginormous.

"Excuse me sir, could you tell me yer name?" A young man asked me.

He obviously worked here so I had to use my real name.

"Eugene Fitzherbert."

I don't really like my name. I don't know, it's just not like "Flynn Rider." Which is the name I will have in America after this voyage.

"Oh, Mista Fitzherbert, I've been lookin' for you. Welcome to the Titanic. I'm Glance and I will be your steward on this voyage. Would ya like some breakfast?" Glance said, he was slightly shorter than me, and definitely American, he had the strongest New York accent I've ever heard. His hair was dark brown, and he had fair skin and dark brown eyes.

"Sure." I said, I mean I was kind of hungry, then I remembered the money.

"You know what, I would actually like to see my room." I said.

"Oh, sounds good sir. Follow me."

He said. I think he knew the titanic like the palm of his hand. He didn't even get lost once. We got there fairly quickly.

"Here is yer room sir." He didn't look tired at all and there I was panting like a dog.

It was a beautiful sight... a bed. My eyes were fixed on it, just the sight of it made me smile. You see, in Belfast I didn't have a bed, I had a newspaper or just the concrete floor. If I was lucky I could get a nice wood bench. I placed my satchel in my closet.

"I'm kind of hungry... could you take me to the dining room, please?" I asked, as Glance just standed, as still as possible. It almost looked like he didn't breathe.

"Sure thing mista, this way."