Chapter 2: Sora Encounters Civilisation (2)

[Pt. 2 - Welcome to Ardent Hollow]

After walking through the woods for a long time, we arrive at a bright, open space—maybe it's like a picture of a town at night. We're standing on the edge of a cliff, overlooking a bustling town sprawled out below us.

I quickly look at the tall wooden gate, a protector at the town's entrance. It gives off a strong and lasting feeling. From here, it looks like the paths below are made of cobblestones, but it's tough to be sure from this far away. It's a little hard to see the details from this distance.

The streets twist through the town like threads, bordered by varied buildings that bring the scene to life. I see homes, stores, and places like pubs and small hotels with their roofs sticking out like sharp edges on the skyline, making the town look different.

Oh, and we could all just forget about the infinitely glowing spheroid that conveniently covers the entire town, right? Its see-through red colour sparkles like a big gem in the sun, spreading a captivating light across the town. I've never seen anything like this. Well, most of the things here I've never really seen before.

"Welcome to—

"—Wah!"

Rin abruptly appears in front of me, startling me a little.

"—Ardent Hollow! Hehe... Sorry."

Valnar casually moves ahead, likely to check out the view. Honestly, I'm not sure if he did or if it's just my mind playing tricks on me—I'm still recovering from Rin's surprise appearance.

"I highly suggest you take a break at Ardent Hollow. It's a safe haven for many. And I trust Rin wouldn't want to disturb that, would you, Rin? I suggest you think twice before doing anything that could potentially ruin someone's peaceful retreat."

"Ahaha... Yeah... Definitely..."

Valnar gives Rin a stern look for a moment before redirecting his focus to me.

"As I was saying, Ardent Hollow is known for its peaceful atmosphere and welcoming locals."

"And it's also warm!" Rin's interruption brings a brief moment of levity to the conversation.

"I assume you like warmth...?" I look over at Rin, noticing the sincere warmth in her expression as I pose the question. Her enthusiastic nod is accompanied by a bright grin, lighting up her features.

Her enthusiastic nod is accompanied by a bright grin.

Valnar sighs as he gestures for us to follow him down a conveniently placed path down the cliff, leading us towards the town. As we descend, the features of this town become more pronounced, and the floor is indeed cobblestone.

"Ooh! Bulwark Painite Shards!"

"Bul-what?"

"Bulwark Painite Shards are what's responsible for the glowing red barrier around the town." Valnar, the rational one, explains.

Ahead, my eyes catch sight of pedestals adorned with bi-pointed, scarlet crystals, or perhaps they're rocks infused with crystalline formations. Their fiery hue contrasts sharply against the verdant surroundings, their presence commanding attention like guardian spirits around the town's perimeter.

"Bulwark Painite Shards..." I echo, the words flowing like a gentle stream from my lips. "Are there other types of Painite Shards?"

"Why do you say that, hmm?"

I pause, my thoughts swirling like cherry blossoms in the wind.

"Considering the way it's worded, I just assumed there were other types—