Chapter 4: Sora's First Encounter with a Dungeon (1.5)

[Pt. 1.5 - The First Floor]

"Woah... this place looks so cool!"

Violet twirls around as we walk through the rocky hallway. Surprisingly, there's a soft, velvety carpet beneath our feet; unsurprisingly, it resembles fire and heat. The walls, while jagged and uneven, seem to possess inscriptions on them. Lava flows like a waterfall down the sides of the walls into... wherever it goes, while I'm here hoping it doesn't turn into Sentient Lava and attack us. The lava seems to be the only light source if we take away the stalactites of solid magma plaguing the arched roof.

"I feel uneasy."

"We've heard that too many times, Sora..."

It's not like you even gave me a chance to choose if I wanted to go or not.

"Hey Sora, how would you feel if a monster just appeared right now~"

"Violet, please don't. I've already been attacked by a molten mimic."

"Well, we're in a dungeon; you're going to have to expect some creatures to appear."

"Violet is right Sora, you're going to have to get used to it."

Elysia takes further steps into the dungeon, prompting everyone to do the same as we follow closely behind her.

"Oh, and if you're thinking of turning back and running..." Elysia begins as a sudden creaking sound echoes behind me. I turn around to see the horrific sight of the gate we entered slamming shut.

"...Yeah, you can't do that anymore." She adds.

"Wha—"

"Come on! We've already gotten this far..."

Unexpectedly, Elysia approaches me and whispers in my ear.

"And it's not like you have to worry about death..."

What? Does she know? Maybe she analysed me... But why?

My thoughts are interrupted as Elysia grabs my hand and pulls me forward, leading the group deeper into the dungeon with a determined look on her face.

So far, she seems to know more than she's letting on, but I have no choice but to trust her instincts and follow along. I know barely anything about this world, but Elysia seems confident and capable, so I'll just have to rely on her guidance for now.

After all, she did save my life back there, despite my ability to resurrect.

"Hold it."

"What is it?"

Everyone seems to freeze as Elysia abruptly stops in her tracks, her eyes fixed on something up ahead.

"I can sense a lava pit nearby."

Ember can sense lava?

"That's not really why I stopped, but thanks, Ember."

"So, why did you stop?"

"There are pressure plates hidden underneath the carpet." Alden adds.

I take a look down at the carpet and see... absolutely nothing. Maybe Alden was mistaken—

Sharp obsidian spikes suddenly emerge from the ground, reaching up to the roof. Where did those come from?

"Looks like he was right..."

Violet says as she steps back cautiously.

"What just happened?"

"I threw a rock—