⁕77⁕

As I slammed the door behind me and made my way towards my car, I noticed someone standing nearby

As I slammed the door behind me and made my way towards my car, I noticed someone standing nearby. A woman was looking around cautiously and fidgeting with her hands. Her face was hidden behind a scarf.

"Who are you?" I inquired, stopping at a distance from her because she jerked at my voice.

Looking around, she takes a slow step forward and extends her hands towards me. I looked down at her palm and saw a brown envelope. She pushed her forward again when I did not try to take the envelope.

"See, woman, I do not know what you want. But do not test me right now. Just leave." I said, dismissing her with a shake of my hand and moving around towards the driver's side.

But she stands in front of me and squeaks strangely. "Your wife is missing."

I stop dead in my tracks and snap my eyes at her cautious ones. When I moved in her direction, she took a step back.

"How do you know about this? Please tell me.

"Take it." She points to the envelope that is still in her palm. "You will track her down."

I grabbed it quickly and looked at her. "Who exactly are you?"

She does not respond to my question at first, but then slowly removes the scarf that is covering her face.

"You! Why would you hide your face, and how would you know where to find Chandini? I have been looking for her for the past four days, and you know where she is? How?" I bombarded Shivi as she quickly covered her face and looked around in haste.

"You are looking in all the wrong places."

I took deep breaths as my heart raced alongside my mind. "Can you just tell me? Wait! If you know where she is, you must also know who is behind all of this. Tell me, please.

"Who do you believe it to be, Rudra? We have known that person for the entire time." She hesitates for a little while. "... it is Rohit."

I was taken aback by the revelation, and my body stilled. I did not really believe her or what she said.

Rohit? How could he do it?

She proceeded. "I overheard him speaking with someone at Barkha's engagement. He did not give the name. And when I asked him what he was talking about. He became defensive, accusing me of spying on him. Then we had a heated argument, which I believe Chandini witnessed that day. If I had known he was referring to Chandini's kidnapping, I would have notified you or the police right away." She took a short pause before continuing. "And I believe he doubts me because there have been some strange men hanging around my flat complex. And when I heard about Chandini, I attempted to contact you but did not have your contact information. I came here to inform Barkha and hand you this envelope, but then I saw the car. So I waited. This envelope has the address, which I am sure he mentioned that day."

While I was processing her words, I ripped open the envelope, but my phone rang from an unfamiliar number. My heart warned me not to ignore it, even though I considered doing so.