2. Back To The Beginning

That grateful day was a celebration for the newly immortal couple. When they got back to the apartment, they spent the rest of the day in bed making love. Both immortals were so in love and so excited that they survived everything, they fell asleep in each other's arms for the first time in months. Now it's time to awaken and go back to work.

Colonial Eve Baird awoke with a smile on her face for the first time in a while. That is until she turned to her other side and the other side of the bed was empty. She frowned. "Flynn?!?" She called. No answer. Frowning some more, she decided to get up and look for her precious now immortal librarian.

After looking everywhere throughout the apartment with no Flynn in sight, she sat on the couch and cried. *How could he do this to me?* She thought. *We tether to the library and celebrate our love only for him to leave me like this alone? Why?*

As the colonial contemplated and wept some more, her phone rang. Dashing to grab her phone off of the nightstand, she answers in her colonial tone with no trace of the tears or any other indication she had just been crying. "Colonial Eve Baird."

"Hello, Colonial. Ready to take down our targets in Berlin today?" A familiar voice asked.

"Hawkins?!?" She asked astonished.

"The one and only. Are you okay, Colonial? Why do you sound so shocked?" He asked.

Eve shook her head and pretended she knew what was going on as she went to the kitchen to look at today's date as she replied. "Nothing. Never mind. I'll meet you at work in an hour." And she hung up as she read the date on the calendar. *What?!? That's impossible! It can't be!* She thought before looking at her left hand and realizing her engagement ring was nowhere to be found. "No!" She panicked. *I have to find it. I have to find Flynn.* She thought. But then another reminder came to the forefront of her mind. *Wait a minute. Today's the day I met Flynn. If I go along with this and play the day out as it happened before, I'll see him again. Thank the lord!* Her thoughts were happy again and she quickly changed into her old or well now current uniform and left for work with NATO.

[Three Weeks Later]

Eve played the day out as promised to herself and was currently opening the apartment door as she just got home. On the phone, she was just told to take leave for a month. *This is it. It's time to meet him again. Face to Face. Though I was surprised he didn't respond at all three weeks ago when I gave him a slight smile. He didn't seem to recognize me at all. He looked confused.* She contemplated. She waited a minute when the white envelope she was waiting for appeared under the door. She picked it up and smiled. Her thoughts stopping all together as she quickly grabbed her purse and locked her door. "I'm coming, My Love. We'll be together again soon."

[At the library]

Eve looked around and ran up the stairs until she saw Charlene. She stopped and walked up to the old woman and cleared her throat. "Excuse me... are you Charlene?"

Charlene turned to look at her. "Who wants to know?" She asked. Looking the colonial up and down.

Eve showed her the invitation. "I received this invitation. I'm Colonial Eve Baird."

Charlene looked at it and then smiled. "You got the white envelope." She said then checked her out and patted her down as she questioned what kind of colonial. When she was done and her question answered, she led the woman to the secret entrance and into the elevator. "I believe you were brought here to be the guardian."

Eve didn't say a word. She just smiled and let the poor old woman ramble. She couldn't wait until those doors opened again and she got to see her librarian. *I wonder if it was an act that day. I at least hope it was.* She thought.