Chapter 1

Ravillet Manor was anything but an average house. As he was trudging uphill, Niel saw the first signs of the manor's tall walls and even taller roof through the thicket.

He had never seen a house like that back in Luniar. It was a modest town, and it had some smaller nobles here and there, but none of them were swimming in money like the Ravillets.

The heavy metal gates of the manor finally came into his view, and he slowed down to catch his breath as he approached the two guards stationed outside them. For a moment, he locked eyes with the tall guard on the left, who eyed him suspiciously. The man looked like a perfect fit for the job with his height and muscular phisique, so much so that even Niel felt small when he stopped in front of him.

"Who are you? State your name and the reason of your visit," the guard said. Niel looked over to the other guard—a boy who looked to be around his age—but he didn't seem interested in the questioning as much as his colleague was.

Niel took mental note of that as he replied, "My name is Niel Sarfort. I was invited here by the young master of the family. I believe he is expecting me now."

The two guards exchanged a look, and Niel saw suspicion lingering behind their eyes. They didn't trust him. "Do you have any proof of invitation?"

"But of course," Niel replied promptly, procuring a letter from the inner pocket of his coat. The letter didn't say much—which was the only reason he handed it to the guards with a relaxed smile on his face—but it had the family stamp on it, if nothing else. After skimming over the letter's contents, the guards returned it to him. He folded it and put it back into his pocket without looking at it. By now, he didn't need to look at it at all—he remembered what the letter said, word for word.

Dear Mr. Sarfort,

I have a problem which might be of interest to you. Of course, you will be fairly compensated should you decide to help me solve it. If you believe you are able to help me, please visit me in Ravillet Manor in Avisir as soon as you can to discuss the matter in more detail. In the meantime, I hope you will keep this letter between us.

Kardin Ravillet

Before setting off to Avisir, Niel wasn't sure if he should bring the letter with him or not, but he stashed it away in his inner coat pocket just in case. And judging by the looks on the guards' faces, that was the right thing to do, because they appeared completely clueless to the "problem" their young master had. Despite that, they let him through, and he tried his best not to gape as he set sight on the Ravillet Manor in its full shine.

That house was massive—even more than he thought as he approached it earlier. Judging by the windows, it had not only a base floor, but also three others on top of it. Three. And it had a lavish fountain outside, chiseled out of the finest marble. He stole discreet gazes around the huge yard, trying not to look as lost as a beggar in a royal palace. But then again, compared to the Ravillets, he probably did look like a beggar.

Was he supposed to wait outside for someone to show him in? No, that didn't sound right. He should probably go and knock on the door instead. Or did passing through the guards mean you can freely enter the house in these rich families? He wasn't sure of the proper etiquette, so he decided to knock, just in case.

He climbed the fine stone stairs and approached the doors. They were teal—just like the frames on the windows, he recalled—the color of the Ravillet family. Before he could grab the intricate golden handle and knock, the doors swung open before him, and an older gentleman donning a black suit greeted him.

"Ah, Mr. Sarfort, welcome. We were expecting you." Judging by his clothes and manners, the man seemed to be the family butler. And unlike the guards, he knew who Niel was.