Chapter 7: Heart Attack At First Sight

"Get me information on (y/n) (l/n). She currently resides in the Therasis Kingdom, but came from a Kingdom further south." A member of the royal advisory almost shrieks as the doors to the office room slam open.

"Wh—" the royal advisor almost questions the out-of-blue demand, though quickly bites his tongue at the icy look he is given. He knows better than to question his orders.

"Right away, your majesty." He bows before scurrying off to find an investigator, thankful to get out of the room.

'He wants me to investigate some random girl? Are we about to go to war? What is happening? Is the world about to end? Is he about to massacre everyone in that room?' The advisor pales at the thought.

'No, I must do my job. Maybe he will spare me.' And with that, he scurries off to find an investigator.

———

Hurrying down the same path I came from, I find Eliza back where I had last seen her.

"What took you so long? Did you do both?" She whispers.

"I got side-tracked and ended up briefly talking to one of the guards," I explained back. "Talking" is one way to put it. Eliza surely jinxed me when she said I probably talk to those in high-society better than her.

"What do you mean talking to one of the guards? They are all guarding this room and the outside castle grounds. Why would they be guarding the powder room?" Eliza raises an eyebrow.

I give her a perplexed look. "Maybe he needed to use the powder room, too?" That's the only explanation.

She gives a doubting look at that, but drops it. "Well, you came back in time. The advisor just got done giving individual appreciation speeches to the higher-ranking nobles. I guess Kruos saw an exponential increase in prosperity this year," she fills me in on what I missed.

"I heard this year's ball will be slightly different, though." Right as she says that, we both turn to the front of the room.

"I have a very special and important announcement to make. The royal council has decided that it is now time for Emperor Kruos to start the process of selecting a bride. This ball will be an introductory grounds in order to begin searching for suitable candidates," Albert begins.

Hushed whispers break out all over the room. Varying levels of excitement, nervousness, and fear in their voices.

"What?!" Eliza's whispers in disbelief.

Albert then clears his voice, recollecting people's misguided attention. "Do treat this as any other ball. But, please be advised that his majesty will be present, searching for suitable suitresses. We hope that by the end of tonight, ten potential candidates will be selected and will be staying in the castle until the final selection has been made."

More whispers break out. "Until then, those from kingdoms further away will still be allocated to individual rooms to spend the night. That is it for now. Please enjoy yourselves, and if you have any questions, myself and other select members of the royal advisory will be present." Albert bows before exiting the stage.

Almost immediately, the hushed whispers turn into full blown conversations, the sound of the orchestra beginning their piece muddled in the background.

"I figured his majesty was to find a bride soon, since he's well over of age, but I didn't expect it to be announced tonight," Eliza's voice held surprise.

"How old is he?" I questioned her, curious as to why he wasn't wedded yet, if that was the case.

"I believe he is merely five years older than you, twenty-seven." I was surprised at that. Twenty-seven? While that may seem young to some, the average age of marrying amongst nobles was as soon as they turned of-age, and in most cases, began searching for as young as childhood. I am surprised he was able to put it off for that long, though I guess the royal council could only delay it for so long.