Chapter 20: Conflicting Emotions

"Where were you yesterday?" Lady Aria whispers to me, darting her eyes around looking for his majesty.

I smile awkwardly. Should I lie or tell her the truth? "I accidentally fell asleep."

It technically wasn't a lie.

She furrows her eyebrows. "Really? When I came to your room, your maid said you were currently out and busy," she whispers, the doors opening as a certain black-haired male strides in.

I chuckle awkwardly, my cheeks fire at being caught red-handed. "Okay fine, I was with his majesty," I whisper back.

"You were what!?" She hissed through gritted teeth. Looking around once more, she grabs my shoulder. "Meet me in my room afterward. Tell me all about it in private, immediately."

I nod at her, right as the doors open up. A certain emperor struts in, his eyes wandering around the room until they eventually land on mine, holding gazes for a few seconds before he begins speaking. "Good afternoon, all. As you may have noticed, three ladies have been eliminated, so congratulations on making it this far," a few heads turn around, looking at the noticeable difference in the amount of people.

"For today, we have set up tables with various activities. Please feel free to mingle amongst yourselves," his majesty takes a seat at the table with teacups on it, a few ladies immediately following suit and taking seats near him.

Lady Aria looks at me. "What do you wish to do?" I look around at the various stations, before my eyes land on the pile of instruments.

"Over there!" I excitedly drag Lady Aria to the table. Taking a seat at a grand piano, I push down on a key, listening to the soft note fill the silence.

"Do you know how to play?" Lady Aria questions, tilting her head as she peers down at me.

My fingers automatically move in a specific position, the muscle memory kicking in. "Not well. I only know a couple songs my mother taught me. I can't read any notes, but I do remember how to play the few songs she taught me," I admit. It probably wasn't the best way to learn, but that was how it was.

Lady Aria crosses her arms, leaning on the top of the piano as she curiously glances. I began playing the familiar tune of a lullaby that my mother used to play when I was a mere child. When I was plagued with restlessness, she used to take me to the music room and play me this song, carrying me to a soundless slumber.

As I grew older, I began to learn how to play it for myself through countless nights of hearing it. This song reminded me of her and the love she had showered me in.

It was a simple song, nothing of a professional level, but the meaning behind it made it the most priceless of them all.

As the last note fades, Lady Aria claps her hands. "That was good! You shouldn't underestimate yourself so much."

I grin at her words. "I am only good at that song, since I've heard it so much as a child. Do you play any instruments?" I ask her, curiously.

Lady Aria nods. "I also play piano." I scoot over, patting the bench.

"I want to hear!" I exclaim, enthusiastic to hear Lady Aria's talent. She takes a seat beside me, resting her hands on the keys, and begins to play a sweet tune.

"I'm going to head to my room and then I'll meet you in yours," I whisper to Lady Aria.

She narrows her eyes at me slightly. "Don't forget this time!" She warns, slapping my arm lightly before being escorted by her maid.

I giggle, before I see my own maid walk up to me. We begin walking back in the direction of my quarters. "How was your evening, my lady?" Sarah asks, politely.