Gri. M. Reaper

III. Gri. M. Reaper

I was stuck in a time loop.

And each time I die a gruesome death, I'd wish to wake up in a different reality. Only to get up in the squeaky chair, facing a nonchalant co-worker and a place, which was sadder than the afterlife.

The words of Death were imprinted in my memory. They would echo in my senses, pound my head and rip my heart each time I woke up from dying. Each death was getting me closer to the brink of insanity, the endless and dark pit of the truth that I was in fact, invincible from death.

I can't die. Only because Death wanted to kill me by his own twisted ways.

After jumping in front of the bus, I woke up with a chilling back pain and had to call it a day with the way my body was aching. The other day where I jumped in the middle of the ocean from a boat, I woke up coughing out water which had filled my lungs. Death from fire had me sit in an ice cold bath for five hours straight. Dying from overdosing on sleeping pills and poison got me to skip on food the entire day in the fear of barfing it all. And death from hanging caused a sharp pain in my throat, so I had to be mute for the rest of the week. 

Despite dying in deaths that caused tremendous pain and PTSD, I knew these were way better than what Death had in store for me. His mere touch held tremors of pain, something that neither of these deaths caused. Surely, I had no interest to explore on any further torture tactics he wanted to try on me.

My only hope was that I'd slip Death's attention somehow and die humanly, with pain and in shame.

Alas, all I did was die and wake up to face the same life I had bid adieu to ages back.

Trying was the only available option to me. I could only try and wish and pray that Death would have mercy on me, and let me go.

So the week after I tried to die from entering a lion cage at the zoo (and woke up with my insides screaming in agony), I contracted a man from the deep web to kill me. To keep things safer, I provided him with my work address and asked him to kill me with a knife. I did not have much money to spare on a rifle and honestly, I had half a mind that this would not work either.

It happened when there was a fire drill in the office and everyone had gathered outside. I, on the other hand, was waiting for the assassin who was ten minutes late, on the terrace of the building. The man, a tall built guy, wearing a black mask walked over to me hurriedly.

"Where were you!" He stopped running towards me the moment I yelled at him, and turned around to see if there was someone else I was screaming at. "I paid you ten lakhs! How are you so lethargic?" 

The man pointed at himself and asked if I was speaking to him.

What an idiot.

"Yes of course, I am talking to you! Who else do you think there is here?" I shook my head, walking towards him in long strides. "Just do what you came here for."

"You are the first one that did not scream or yell in fear, or cry seeing me march towards you with a knife." He raised the sharp thin knife towards me. 

I sighed.

"You sure that knife can kill me?" I enquired, taking the old piece of junk in my hand. It was sharp but did not look like it could cut through my intestines. "Aah, you should have gotten a new one. A bigger and better knife because this does not seem feasible."

"I am sorry," He rubbed the back of his head, over the black mask. "I had to hurry with what I had in store, but it works fine, I promise."

"How are you going to stab me?"