hell is here

V. hell is here

Welcome to another episode of Hell is Here.

Today, we have Death, an ancient being of a million years old who acts petty like a teenager only to harass a woman in her mid-thirties out of fun. Out of all the things, Death could choose to trouble the woman with, he chose his annoying shitty presence.

"You are telling me that you paid up to six months' rent to live in this shit hole and are willing to let me stay here only because you want to keep an eye on me?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"Are you sure you are not borderline obsessed with me?" I had a hard time understanding what this six feet 4 inches' guy was telling me. "And how are you so free in life?"

Death rested his head on the sofa, his long legs over the red soft fabric and arms under his head. "Don't flatter yourself, human. The only thing I am obsessed over is your soul, which is mine." He shut his eyes, a satisfactory smile on his bright face. He was always so cool and calm, it made me both envious and mad.

"Don't you have other things to do?" I asked, approaching the tall entity laying on the sofa like a log. "I don't know, collect other people's souls?"

"Well, I am an eternal being, and unlike humans, I am beyond the concept of time and space." He opened his eyes and turned to face me, "I am here and everywhere."

That made zero sense but then, none of this was making sense either. If I was to tell someone that I had Death lying over my sofa waiting for my soul to torture for eternity, they'd book me a place in the asylum immediately. Heck, if I had the money, I would have done the same.

"Can't you just take me now?" I asked, desperate to leave. It was not my plan to surrender so early, but I had no other choice either. "I am ready for your punishments."

A scoff echoed around the empty house, as Death smirked. "Sweet tart, you can never be ready for what I have in store for you. Not in this lifetime for sure." He stretched his arms, yawning and ruining the sheets with his shoes. "Your time has not yet come, but when it does, I will be escorting you from here to hell, myself."

All of this because I killed myself? How is that just? And why me? I am sure thousands of people think about killing themselves and hundreds even do daily, then why me?

Asking Death any of this was pretty useless as he would just laugh at my misery and ask me to deal with it. Same as all of the people in my life.

Sobs

"I told you to not trust that guy. He was handsome and smarter in comparison to you. That is why ugly people stick with someone of their kind. This one is on you."

"But mom, how would I have known that he'd leave me."

"Look at yourself in the mirror, Olivia. He is a doctor, and both respectable and good looking, why would he settle for someone as you?"

Sigh

"So what if the people at work are being a bit mean towards you? That is how all corporate offices work. And its not like you have a good education degree to throw a tantrum."

"But sis, I cannot stay at that place anymore. They demean and bully me."

"Deal with it Olivia, stop crying over petty things. I have things of my own to deal with."

Gulp

"I really want to attend the party, but –"

"But what? You're broke again? Come on Olivia. Deal with it, manage your finances, How are you pathetic all the time?"