Chapter 14

Hurried, running footsteps echo through the Cold Palace halls, and a happy and delightful laughter accompanied it. Guards and servants moved quickly out of the way of the oncoming footsteps, making them stop to see who it was. Around the corner came a young man running, holding the front of his robes so as not to trip over it. Behind him, his personal servants and guards and Wen Ning follow swiftly, not running just walking fast.

"Concubine Wei, please stop. There is no need to be in such a hurry. You might fall and hurt yourself."

Mingxia calls from behind the running Wei Ying.

"I won't. I promise."

He calls back as he continues onwards.

"Wen Ning, this is all your fault. Why did you have to tell him?."

Mingzhu asked the boy next to her through gritted teeth. Wen Ning cringe slightly into himself at the tone of her voice.

"I did not know that Concubine Wei was not aware that his sister and brother would be arriving today. "

Wen Ning said in his defense, and Mingzhu sighs softly. It's true that Wuxian did not know. None of them did.

"None of us did, Wen Ning. I'm sorry."

She said as they increased their pace, trying to at least catch up to the disappearing frame of Concubine Wei.

"Concubine Wei, please, we will all get into trouble if anything should happen to you. Please have mercy on our poor souls."

One of Concubine Wei's personal guards calls after the Concubine, but it is to no avail as he watches the Concubine just wave his hand dismissively before grabbing the front of his robes tighter as he continued running towards the entrance of the Cold Palace.

The palace guards and servants watch on in suprise and shocked when they saw the concubine running through the palace with his personal servants and guards close on his heels. Wondering and whispering what the reason could be. Seeing the figures disappeared from sight, they continued with what they were doing.

Reaching the inner courtyard of the Cold Palace, Wei Ying stopped in his tracks, eyes scanning the courtyard for the carriage. Excitement and nervousness roll off him in waves. His personal servants, the guards, and Wen Ning came to stop behind him. Mingxia and Mingzhu, and Wen Ning had their hands on their knees, gasping for breath sweat drops running down the side of their faces.

"It is the last time I am running after you, Concubine Wei. Why could you not just wait like a normal person until your guests arrived?."

Mingxia and Mingzhu said through gasps of air as Wen Ning nodded his head in agreement. He himself does not even know why he had started running after them.

"Yeah, yeah, I hear you. But where are they?. Why are they not here yet?."

He waved his hands as he hopped excitedly on his feet. His eyes never left the gate from the Cold Palace leading into the Cold Palace inner courtyard. But he had not had to wait long, though, before he saw the horse carriage came riding through the Cold Palaces gates. Wei Ying was about to run and meet the horse carriage halfway when he felt himself being pulled by his robes.

Looking back with a small frown at who it could be, he looked straight into the disapproving face of Mingxia.

"No. You will wait here like the future Empress you are and receive your guests with the appropriate courtesy. I will not run after you like a mad woman again, Wuxian."

She said, and Wei Ying pouted at her and looked at her with sad eyes, but she just shook her head and gave him a stern look. He had no choice but to concede and waited until the horse carriage would come rolling through the inner courtyard and stopped. After she was sure that he would not go running away like a mad man, she let go of his robes and straightened it out at the back where she had grabbed it.