0.5

❝It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone

JOHN STEINBECK

0.5 : i see you

IT'S BEEN ALMOST A MONTH SINCE FIN CAME BACK FROM GREECE, AND SHE ALREADY REGRETS LEAVING ATHENS. Not because Athens was so great–it wasn't–but because it feels as though she's living a half-life in Quantico. She can't be a stranger, because then people will suspect something's wrong, but she can't get as close as she was, because that gives Esther a way in. It's an awful paradox that could have been avoided if Fin had just said no.

But Fin will admit, she missed working. Working sleepless nights to catch serial criminals is far better than sitting in a bare apartment, waiting for that one phone call.

It's taking all her self-control to keep herself in check, though. To not call JJ. To fudge plans in order to get out of the BAU's annual New Year's Eve party. To keep her mind from straying to Spencer's hands, his eyes, his mouth, his dimples, his voice...

Fin blinks, refocusing on the papers in front of her. She checks her watch. Almost time to go home, maybe reheat that soup from last night. Maybe watch Seinfeld, fall asleep halfway through, like she always does.

Across the office, Emily's packing up her own things, and so is Morgan to her left, humming softly to himself. Spencer's still focused on his paperwork, tongue poking between his teeth as he scribbles hastily on what has to be the millionth form of the day.

Fin yawns, grabbing her coat from the back of her chair, and then her phone rings. She picks it up and answers without looking at the screen, shoving it between her shoulder and her ear as she grabs her purse and the empty coffee mug on her desk. "Hello?"

"Are you alone?" The cool, clipped voice of Ethan Chamberlain is quiet through the tiny speaker.

"Not at the moment, but I can be," Fin replies, waving goodbye at the others. Emily waves back, Morgan ignores her, and Spencer doesn't even look up from his paperwork. Oh well.

"Let me know when you're away from people," Ethan says.

"Why? Is it bad news?"

"I'll tell you when you're alone."

Fin sighs, pushing the heavy glass door open and heading toward the elevators. "Okay. I'm alone."

"I just got a call from Byrne in CID. They got a tip yesterday that a woman matching Esther's description was driving a gray Ford Ranger with expired plates, and that same Ford Ranger was just called in by a woman who says it's parked illegally in front of an empty building just outside of downtown Quantico. Byrne's sending a division now. "