1.1

❝In another world we shall understand it all

LEO TOLSTOY

1.1 : how many chances you get

OR

season 6, episode 18 : lauren

THE PROFILE HAS BEEN GIVEN, THE DOCUMENT EMILY'S FRIENDS AT INTERPOL SENT OVER CHECKED AND RECHECKED, AND EVERY INCH OF EVERY BRAIN IN THE ROOM RACKED. Fin is exhausted. She's so ready to go back to the safe house and watch Seinfeld reruns, maybe order Chinese–

But this fantasy is heartbreakingly interrupted by Morgan, walking up to the evidence board with a green sticky note. "I've got four names on the bottom of the list Prentiss gave us. Luke Renault, Lawrence Riley, Lila Rafferty, Lyle Rogers."

"Is there a specific reason those names have the same initials?" Fin asks, pulling her legs tighter beneath her, sitting cross-legged on the floor next to Rossi.

"The CIA uses cryptograms like that to assign to non-official cover agents working the same case," Hotch replies.

"So do other foreign countries," Morgan adds, pulling the list Emily printed off from the board and gesturing to the last four lines. "These last four names are covers–spies."

"Wait." Penelope frowns, taking the list from Morgan's hands and examining it closely. "No. This isn't right." She shakes her head, turning the paper so everyone can see it. "Do you see this space? That shouldn't be here."

"Could it be a formatting error?" Spencer asks.

"No, this is a spreadsheet template," Penelope says. "Formatting doesn't allow for this. There's a missing name on here."

Hotch nods grimly. "It's another spy whose cover is L.R."

"'Lauren Reynolds is dead,'" Spencer mutters under his breath, eyes unfocused, and Fin looks over at him.

"What did you say?"

Spencer blinks back into reality, eyes widening. "'Lauren Reynolds is dead,'" he says louder, looking around at all of them. "Prentiss said that on a phone call seventeen days ago, but her intonation wasn't surprise or grief. It was like a mantra, like she was reminding herself. Lauren Reynolds. L.R."

Fin's stomach is suddenly an ocean of discomfort. "Emily's Lauren Reynolds." She can't breathe.

Hotch says nothing, just pulls out his phone, walking out of the circle.

"Then that means–" Penelope covers her mouth, gasping softly.

"She's on Doyle's list, too," Morgan finishes grimly.