The Other Brother

⚠️
Plots of corruption and murder.
Mentions of mental health herein suicide, death, and grief. Including graphic descriptions of cheating.

The hushed whispers of mourners and the stillness in the air the day we buried Yoongi still haunts my mind. Six weeks have passed and the weight of grief is excruciatingly present in my heart, but I've learned to escape the deep sorrow by keeping busy.

I enter the base and greet the handful of new lawyers Rosé hired and recruited for our startup firm. Some of them are busy on their computers, typing away for research, whereas others either have their noses buried in case books or are on their phones providing legal consultations. One of the new hires, a young and ambitious third-year law student named Choi Soobin, walks beside me. I head over to the kitchen to grab a cup of freshly made coffee when he informs me he has found a potential new client, but I don't pay much attention after learning it's a family court issue.

Instead, I glance out and spot Rosé through the glass wall in her office. My brows flare up and I curve my lips, bemused by her excessive gestures as she prepares her associates for the Styles' tax evasion. She senses my gaze and our eyes meet. I wink and raise my mug at her and she acknowledges my tardiness by shaking her head and tapping on her wristwatch.

Still thinks she's my boss.

       "And she's rich too," Soobin says and my ears prick up, "You heard me right, Mr. Kim, I'm talking about a hefty commission."

       "Always lead with money if you want my attention."

       "Right, I'll keep that in mind."
I exit the kitchen and he follows behind, as we make our way through the office and up the stairs.
       "This is the kind of client our firm needs, Mr. Kim."

       "Our firm?" I chuckle into the mug.

       "I was thinking since I want to specialize in family law that I maybe could--"

       "And let me guess," I stop mid-step to say and he mimics me, confused, "You want to be the lead on it, Mr. Choi."

       "Is that a statement or a question?" I knit my brows, pride in my heart by his bulldog demeanor, "I can do this." I dismissively scoff and resume the walk, "I'm more than competent, more than capable, and more than educated on this subject. Besides, this is my client."

       Amused, I entertain him by asking, "And who will you have as your second? You need someone with experience--"

       "Actually, I do have someone in mind. I was thinking maybe Mr. Jeon," my expression must've changed because he's quick to explain, "Listen, I know he's technically on leave and we shouldn't bother him, but I do think that he'd like this case--"

       "Forget it."

       "Mr. Kim, please. I know I can do this! And with Mr. Jeon's help, I'm sure I can..."

His justification fades when we approach my office. I stop by the door and notice a woman inside. Her back is turned from us but there's no denying it's who I think it is. She's dressed in an oversized leather jacket and boyfriend jeans and her dark hair is in a clip. I straighten as she shifts impatiently in her heels. It's been years since I last saw her, and I wonder what possessed her to visit the firm.

       "Let me prove it to you," Soobin ends with a plea.

       "Fine," I murmur without taking my eyes off her, "Start a file up. Find me everything worth knowing."