CHAPTER 3: The Challenge

HIS ASSIGNED MATE

Chapter 3: The Challenge

After showering and putting on a pink-beige dress that flowed to my knees, I let my hair fall down my chest in curls. Slipping on white slippers wrapped around my toes, I let myself walk down the long hall and then the stairs, all the while thinking how dazzling the big chandelier was that hung over the rounding staircase.

I stepped down the last step of the staircase with wide eyes. Everything around me was so grand. As I walked through a big foyer, I passed by some servants who stopped amidst their scurrying steps and bowed when they glanced at me.

Awkwardly, I smiled at them when their dazed eyes glanced at me. "May one of you tell me which hall leads to the dining room?" I asked.

They both pointed to the third entrance in unison, making me nod my head in thanks.

Passing the bowing ladies, I quickened my steps down the hall and made my way to the dining room. I had expected there to be a crowd since that's how it is back at my Night Shade Pack where all the werewolves gather around a long table to dine, but to my surprise, only Analia and Grace were seated.

The long table looked bizarre with empty seats, so I slowed my steps. "Hello, am I very late or everybody here just eats fast?" I asked with a chuckle, making the two ladies turn their heads to look at me with a startle.

"No, no! You made it just in time!" Analia grinned while pushing her chair back when she stood up. She made her way to me and led me to a seat beside hers. Sitting down, I smiled at Grace who was beaming. "The breakfast is ready, we were just waiting for you before telling the servants to serve us," she added before glancing at the servant who was situated against a far wall. Just at her stare, the servant nodded his head and went straight for the kitchen.

"I like that color on you, you look very pretty!" Grace complimented, making me flush.

"Oh, thank you," I replied. "How long is everybody else going to be?" I finally asked the obvious question.

Grace looked at her mother while biting down on her bottom lip.

Scrunching my brows together, I looked at Analia and she slowly smiled. "The pack trains at this time and does breakfast around 10 am, since it is only 9 am, they will be late," I began to say something, but she continued, "...and Liam told me that you needed to rest," I squinted my eyes at that, "...so he said to do breakfast without him."

Raising my brows, I watched as the servant placed a plate of steaming breakfast in front of me on the table, consisting of bread layered with two eggs sunny side up. That's when I realized how hungry I was.

Looking up from my plate I watched as the servants placed breakfast in front of Grace and Analia, but they both waited for me to begin first.

To heck with Liam! Did he care how much pain he caused when he punctured my neck with his fangs? No!

Licking my lips, I began slicing my bread.

"You know, after you become our Luna tomorrow, you will be sitting at the head of the table, on that side," Grace pointed, making me pause in my process of placing a piece of egg on top of my sliced bread. I looked to my far left down a row of chairs and noticed the big heavy chair situated in the far middle of the table. "And Liam sits there," she pointed to her close left, and I followed her gaze to an identical chair situated at the right end of the table.

"I see..." I trailed off. I momentarily got lost in the thought of becoming a Luna.

The Luna has almost the same responsibility as the Alpha to serve and protect the pack, and as a Beta's daughter, I only got to play a portion of that role.