Chapter One

Frostburn wailed, her eyes wide. "They're coming! My kits!" she gasped, her paws raking the grassy floor of the nursery. Her thoughts spiraled as she struggled to regain her composure. She failed, miserably, and let out a howl.

A gray marble rosetted tom narrowed his worry-filled eyes, his long tail lashing behind him. "What? So soon!?" he hissed.

He quickly softened when Frostburn glared at him. "Oh-don't worry be dear, everything will be fine. I'm just-I'm nervous," he admitted, licking his chest fur briefly.

Frostburn rolled her eyes. "Oh, I love you, Snakeswirl, but please get Fernpatch! You aren't the one giving birth, silly." She shuddered as another ripple passed through her white and orange pelt. Her claws sheathed and unsheathed, almost tearing up the nest she was sitting on.

Snakeswirl nodded quickly, then darted away to find the medicine cat.

Frostburn closed her eyes, her mind buzzing with worry. Will her kits be alright? They were due a moon early-was that natural? Will her kits die? Will she die? She convulsed as another spasm passed through her pelt.

She was grateful when Snakeswirl rushed back to her, Fernpatch dashing after him.

"I'm so sorry, Frostburn-I didn't expect for you to go into labor so soon," Fernpatch confessed. "I was out collecting herbs." The calico she-cat's soft green eyes were glassy with fatigue, her breaths coming out in quick pants. A surge of sympathy washed over Frostburn for the young medicine cat. After her mentor, Thrushspring, fell to the illness, the young she-cat had been overworking herself. She felt a pang of grief when she remembered Flaxstar, their brave and wise leader who had fallen as well...that cursed sickness.

Frostburn was pulled away from her thoughts by another spasm, this time causing her to fall to the ground.

"Great StarClan, these kits are ready to see the world!" Fernpatch commented. Frostburn was too tired to respond.

~~~~

Frostburn laid on her side, her soft pelt rising and falling as she panted with exhaustion. "My first litter," she murmured, gently stroking the three kits at her side with a cautious paw. Fernpatch sat nearby, letting the new mother look at her kits. The medicine cat looked very tired; Frostburn could see her eyes closing, only to be opened quickly as she realized she was dozing off.

Snakeswirl peeked his head inside. "Is it over?" After a reassuring yet exhausted nod from Fernpatch, the tom burst into the nursery.

"Are you okay, my dear? Do you need water? Food? How do you feel?" he burst suddenly, questions and concerns spilling out of his muzzle.

He stopped when Frostburn touched his paw with hers. She looked up into his eyes, her icy blue gaze meeting his dark green's. "My love, calm down. I'm alright; why don't you look at our kits instead?"

When his eyes finally left Frostburn's, they widened with joy and pride. "They-they're gorgeous!"

"Two she-kits and one tom," Fernpatch purred, looking down at the kits with satisfaction. Frostburn knew this was Fernpatch's second time helping deliver kits, and the white-orange molly wouldn't have asked for any other cat to. The two were close friends, and Frostburn have full faith in the medicine cat. It was as if Fernpatch were her younger sister.

The tom was squirming around, his tiny pelt covered in white and orange fur.

"This one looks just like you," Snakeswirl purred lovingly as he pointed to the tom with an outstretched paw.

Frostburn pointed to one of the she-kits, her muzzle curving into a smile. "She looks like you," the queen purred as she gazed upon the gray she-kit with darker gray swirls. "Hmm, it seems her markings are more spotted than yours."

Snakeswirl scoffed. "Of course! I'm Snakeswirl, what do you think? No one has swirly-er markings than me! She can be called Snakespots for all I care," he joked, flashing a smile on his muzzle as well.

"Oh, you silly goof." Frostburn peered at the little she-kit. "Great Starclan, do I already see teeth in her muzzle?"

Fernpatch examined the kit's muzzle, narrowing her eyes. "Oh, it seems like these two teeth will grow a bit faster than the others. It's alright; it's not a big problem. She looks like a very healthy kitten."

The new mother sighed, her eyes closing with relief. She opened them after a heartbeat or two. "That's good to hear. And this one..." Frostburn tilted her head curiously. "Hm, this one is white with gray patches. Looks just like her brother, but the orange is replaced with gray."

Snakeswirl nodded thoughtfully. "Well, my dear, do you want to rest and name them later?"

Frostburn shook her head. "I want to name them right now." She gently nuzzled the white and orange tom with her nose. "He shall be known as Flamekit."

Snakeswirl nodded with agreement. "That's perfect! This little white and gray she-kit should be named..." He tilted his head, his eyes lost in thought. After a few moments, he announced, "This beautiful she-kit shall be known as Serpentkit."

Frostburn winked at Snakeswirl. "Snake and Serpent? Care to be more creative?" After Snakeswirl lowered his head in embarrassment, Frostburn quickly added, "I was joking! I love that name. She's already wiggling around like a serpent!"

Snakeswirl lightened up at his mate's joke. "Well, what about the last one?" he asked, his dark green eyes focusing on the other she-kit. Her spotted little gray pelt was a bit fluffier than her siblings'.

"I was thinking Silverkit," Frostburn offered, looking at Snakeswirl for approval. After he nodded, she let out a weary sigh.

"Now let me rest; I'm so tired I could sleep for a moon," she meowed, gently grooming her kits. Snakeswirl nuzzled her cheek, then left the nursery. Looking upon her kits with love, she couldn't help but purr. "I love you, my little kittens. I'll always be there for you, no matter where I am." After a nod to Fernpatch, she closed her eyes. Soon enough, her orange-patched white pelt started to slowly rise and fall.

CHAPTER END

Questions?