Chapter 2

Silverkit was peering at a sprig of lavender. Her green eyes flitted about, scanning the little bugs that clambered up the stem. Her small paws were comfortable on the soft grass below her, a gentle breeze carrying gentle whispers towards her pointed ears. Her two front teeth protruded out her muzzle, lifting as a grin settled onto her lips. She let out a playful mrrow and batted at the lavender, rolling onto her back. Most of the bugs fell off except for a large, black spider. Silverkit shrunk back as it grew larger and larger, all playfulness gone now.

The spider began to grow claws on its eight, dangly legs, its teeth grew sharp. Its red eyes pierced through Silverkit's green ones, staring deeply into her soul. It opened its jaws, ready to swallow her whole. As she tried to let out a hiss of defiance, it enveloped her in its mouth.

When darkness surrounded her vision, she pressed her eyes tightly. Silverkit tried to yowl for help, but she felt nothing. Nothing at all.

She opened her eyes, but saw nothing. She felt no grass under her paws, no breeze ruffling her ear tufts. There was absolutely nothing. Complete darkness, silence, nothingness. Silverkit's eyes widened as she started to tremble violently, her mind screaming for something to do anything. The void was unbearable.

Just as she thought it would end, a faint outline slowly appeared in front of her amber eyes. Her trembling stopped, her gaze now curious. The outline grew brighter, shining. It was a cat, Silverkit observed. She could see the long, curvy tail and triangular, pointed ears of a cat, although the rest was blurry. The light from the cat enabled her to see the void, which, to her horror, was a swirling, writhing mass of dark water. Silverkit did not feel like she was drowning, though. Instead, it was as if she was suspended in the air.

Suddenly, the young molly could make out red eyes in the outline. They burned into her soul, the same color and intensity as the spider's. Then, a muzzle started to move.

"BEWARE, SILVERKIT. I WILL COME FOR YOU. I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN, I WILL KILL YOU. BEWARE, SILVERKIT. A SACRIFICE MUST BE MADE, OR ELSE THE WHOLE WORLD SHALL BURN. I WILL COME FOR YOU. I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN. IF YOU DO NOT STAY STRONG, I SHALL HUNT YOU DOWN!"  the figure rasped, its voice thick and raspy. Suddenly, more limbs began to grow out of it until it resembled a spider-cat.

Silverkit was finally able to speak. "Let me out! Help me! Get away! I will slice off your legs, one by one! Let me out, now!" she yowled. The being tilted its head.

"HAH. AS IF I SHOULD FEAR YOU, PATHETIC KIT. I WILL KILL YOU. I SHALL END YOU. IF YOU DO NOT BEAR THE PAIN, IF YOU DO NOT SACRIFICE YOUR ANGER, I WILL KILL YOU!"  it shrieked, advancing towards Silverkit.

She let out a terrified yowl before the being and void disappeared. She woke up, panting, her swirled, silver pelt rising and falling as she panted heavily. She let out a whimper, her amber eyes widening. She felt her claws prick her tail, then looked down to see that she was kneading it.

Silverkit took a deep breath, then looked outside. It was still nighttime; the moon cast dark shadows inside VineClan's cozy nursery. She shivered, then curled up against her Ma's orange and white pelt. She took comfort in the long and somewhat tangled pelt, burying her head into it as she tried to slow her breathing. Once her heartbeat resumed to normal, she looked up and spotted her siblings. Flamekit was snoring away near Ma's forepaws, and Serpentkit was...not here? Perhaps she went to sit outside. Silverkit's sister liked to sit by herself at night; it was quiet, apparently, and it was good for thinking.

Her guess was correct. There sat Serpentkit, the always-slim she-kit who reeked of sickness. The kit was quivering, her clouded green eyes staring into nothingness. Silverkit cautiously approached her; she could be spooked easily.

"....Serpentkit? Are you alright?" she meowed quietly after a moment.

Even though Silverkit had tried to be as non-threatening as she could be, Serpentkit still jumped slightly. As she turned towards her sister, her eyes became clear again, the clouds of thought wafting away.

"Yes, sister? What brings you outside?" she asked, tilting her head in what would be considered eerie to most.

"I had a nightmare. It feels....so familiar. Like I've had it before. Perhaps when I was younger?" Silverkit admitted, speaking her direct thoughts to her sister.

Serpentkit's expression turned quizzical. "Nightmares? What so ever let your imagination run wild? Nightmares are folly, mere distractions in life. Unless they are from StarClan, of course. Then you must tell the healers immediately." Serpentkit had a rather...different perspective on things.

Silverkit looked away. "Y'know, even though we're becoming apprentices in a quarter moon, there is no need to act all serious and proper. We're still kits,; let's enjoy it while we can." She watched the pale moonlight cascade over the camp as Serpentkit thought over her words. The way the moonlight spilled over the camp as thought it was water was beautiful-but the thought of water made Silverkit shudder. She remembered the swirling mass of dark water in her nightmare, even though it felt as if she was high above the land in StarClan. Although, it certainly wasn't  StarClan.

The young molly was startled out of her thoughts when she noticed her sister's green gaze burning into the side of her face. She turned to face Serpentkit. "Err...did you happen to say something, sister?" She asked sheepishly.

Other than a flick of her white and gray tail, Serpentkit did not seem to care that she had to repeat her words. "My dear sister, think about the future. Our kithood is pointless; just memories to think about while we have free time. Instead, it is far better to mature now. Don't you think it is better? We can do everything faster. We'll have more time to train. We can become the best warriors the Clans have ever seen. We will be the strongest, the bravest, the fastest..." Her voice ended in a throaty rasp and a mighty cough. Once she recovered, Her green eyes grew clouded with thought again.

Silverkit quietly slipped back into the nursery. Her sister had made no sense; these memories are something to be cherished. And no cat can just control when they mature like that; some elders still aren't serious! She curled up beside her loud brother, hoping his loud snores would ward away any more bad nightmares and the scary spider-cat. It said it would come for her unless she shall let go of all her anger. But Silverkit wasn't angry, she was terrified. She was terrified for herself. She was terrified for her clan. But most of all, she was terrified that this monster would bring down her family as well. Her thoughts grew muddled and fuzzy as she drifted off into a restless sleep, twitching every now and then.

Something lingers over Silverkit's future....an ominous warning, a death threat. What anger could a little kit hold? What would happen to Silverkit?

CHAPTER END

This was fun to write! I used lotsa words, I made it more spookier than the last chapter. Hehehhe, creepy kitties.