Chapter 3 : Night noises

Chapter 3

Later...    

Ross POV

"Ross."

I opened my eyes. Riker was sitting up beside me.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Like 4:30 in the morning."

"Why did you wake me up?"

"I need to go to the bathroom."

"Ok? So go."

"Can you come with me?"

I sighed. I really don't feel like getting up. I'm tired.

"I would go with you if you asked me," Riker said.

"Fine."

I unzipped the tent. We both peered out, looking for any signs of animals. But it seemed like we were alone. So we climbed out of the tent.

"You go pee, I'm going to make the fire a little bigger," I said, sitting down on the ground.

"Ok."

I got some more sticks from my pile and got the fire going a little bit better. I think it'll keep burning until morning. And then we can gather some more sticks just in case we still don't get rescued.

Riker came back and we both got back in the tent and in the sleeping bag together. I zipped the tent shut again and we laid down.

"Do you think we'll get rescued tomorrow?" Riker asked.

"Yeah. I mean, maybe our pilot got back really late, and they couldn't get out to look for us because it was getting dark. So they'll probably come tomorrow."

Suddenly, we heard a pretty loud snap, like something stepped on a stick out there. Riker and I both froze.

Riker was laying on his side with his arm across my chest like before, but now he had a death grip on me. We heard another snap and I could feel both of us start shaking a little.

"What are we supposed to do?" I whispered.

"I don't know," Riker whispered back.

There was another snap and we both jumped a little.

"What if there's a bear out there and it knows we're in here and wants to eat us?" I whispered.

"Ross, I don't know!" Riker whispered.

Riker buried his face in my side again and held onto me even tighter. I put my arm around him and held onto him too.

We just laid there, silently, waiting for something to happen.

Overtime, Riker's death grip on me loosened. There weren't any more snaps. And I was thinking maybe whatever it was left.

"Rik, I think it's gone."

Nothing.

"Rik?"

Still nothing. Of course he's asleep. We could've gotten eaten, and he's just sleeping.

I sighed and shut my eyes. Hopefully no more animals show up.

Morning...

Rydel POV

While we were having breakfast, mom got a call. And whatever it was, she looked concerned.

"You lost 2 of our kids!?"

Rocky, Ryland, and I looked at her. Ross and Riker were supposed to be flying to Alaska to meet dad for a skydiving thing, and then heading to Vancouver for Ross to start filming a movie.

"Mark..."

She sighed, looking really frustrated.

"Ok, well tell me when you have an update. Ok. Bye."

We were all frozen, staring at mom.

"That was your father," she said.

"Are Ross and Riker ok?" Ryland asked.

"They're missing."

"Missing?" I asked.

"They were supposed to take a small plane to Alaska from Canada. Their plane was 2 hours late, and they weren't on it when it landed. Apparently their pilot had issues with the plane and had to make an emergency landing. He didn't know if it was safe to take off again, so he left Ross and Riker and flew to the airport."

"So they're just in the woods alone!?" I asked.

"Aren't there like bears and stuff in Alaska?" Rocky asked.

"Yes, there's bears and moose. Their pilot said he left them with an emergency survival kit that they're required to have on all planes for when things like this happen."

"Ok, so can't they just send someone out there to go pick them up?" Rocky asked.

"They don't know where they are. The GPS tracking went down on the plane, so there's no record of where they are. And they don't have cell service because they're in the middle of nowhere."

"So nobody knows where they are?" I asked.

"No. They sent someone out in a plane yesterday evening to go look for them, but they couldn't find them. They're sending out another plane today to go look. But Alaska is really big, so it might take some time."

"Do you think they're ok?" Ryland asked.

"I'm sure they're fine. It hasn't even been 24 hours yet," mom said.

"What if they can't find them?" I asked.

"They will," Rocky said.

I sighed. This isn't good.