Chapter 2 (Pt. 2) - Viktor

Viktor went into the cafeteria, and his eyes locked onto one of the tables. At this point, kids had filled the room. It was almost time for school to start. He watched as Amelia leaned against Evelyn. She sought comfort from the other girl. Viktor smiled, his eyes strangely soft. Bean picked up on this, and followed his friends' eyes to the pair of girls. "Why don't you tell her you like her when you get to her party, Vik?" Bean suggested, a little too loudly for Viktor's taste. Now both of their cheeks had a red hue to them. Viktor had always assumed it had to do with Bean hating being loud. It attracted the wrong kind of attention in a lot of situations. "Dude! Sh!" He hissed in response. He peered around the room, sure to avoid prying eyes and ears. He turned to the wall, and gestured for Bean to do the same.

"Dude," Viktor whispered harshly. "She's my sister's best friend. And like, a year younger than me once she reaches her birthday. That's weird! Especially if my sister started hating her and we were together." Viktor glanced over his shoulder at the girls.

"Or," Bean started. "If she started hating you but still wanted to be friends with your sister. Trouble in paradise." He smirked down at Viktor, who shot him a glare. "She could never hate me. I'm too charming." He claimed somewhat-confidently. Bean laughed into his palm, eyes seeming to glow with entertainment. "Vik, girls are insane. They switch emotions on a dime their whole lives. First it's when they're our age and puberty hits, and then when they're in their twenties and wild. Then they hit their thirties and bills stress them to insanity. Once they hit forty, the kids drive everyone insane, and during their fifties and sixties, menopause or a divorce make them deranged. Then? If they live long enough? Dementia. Alzheimer's." Bean sure gave the long explanation, which annoyed Viktor, but totally enlightened him.

"Girls are crazy their whole lives... wow. Who knew?" He muttered, then frowned back over his shoulder. "Welp," Viktor spoke louder now. "I still choose to get the one of my dreams eventually!" He proclaimed, and whirled around on his heel. "That's the spirit! Go talk to her!" Bean pushed the boy, and Viktor grunted faintly. He shot his friend a harsh look, but it was too late to turn around now. He'd been spotted.

"Hey Viktor. What's up, dude?" Evelyn asked. Viktor plopped down beside his sister. "Just making sure Amelia's alright. She was pretty upset last night when Camilo didn't come back. I suspect he's just chillin' with some bros, though." Viktor puffed up his chest. He'd said 'suspect'. That was fancy-talk for kids their age. Chicks dig a guy who can speak with eloquence and sound educated. "Eh, probably." Evelyn shrugged, and scooped some of the school's distasteful sludge in her spoon. "Hey, Amelia, this tastes better than normal. A pig could almost enjoy it." She tried to lighten the mood. Viktor pursed his lips to keep himself from laughing. He should've been the one to make that joke!

"Thanks Evie, but I'm not hungry." Amelia sighed. She picked at the skin around her nails, her eyes droopy, and listless. Viktor felt bad for his sister, but only a little bit. This morning, she had claimed to have 'a bad feeling' about Camilo. That was pretty much it. The reason for acting all down and depressed. A feeling. That wasn't evidence, and Viktor refused to believe it meant anything, even if his little sister believed it meant everything.

Viktor locked eyes with Evelyn, just for a sec. It was a nice second though. His eyes were a shiny green, light, and teeming with life. They contrasted her royal blues perfectly. He smiled at her, and back at Bean, who gave an encouraging thumbs-up. "So, Chickee," Viktor glanced back at Evelyn again. She frowned at him, and raised a brow. "How do you like your present?" He asked, and leaned against the table. Evelyn's face twitched to an awkward one, and she stood up. "Bell's about to ring, see you later Amelia." She smiled down at the other girl, then skittered off to class.

Viktor groaned, and stood up. "Wait," Amelia reached up and tugged on her brother's sleeve. "Hm?" He asked, and she dropped her hand. "What if we never see him again?" Amelia asked in a quiet voice, and Viktor rolled his eyes. He sat down beside her, and took her hand in his. "Sis," He started. "I promise you we will see our brother again." He assured quietly, then stood and made his way out to his first class.

That was a promise he'd be able to keep, sure. But not in the way either of the siblings realized, or wanted. Sometimes it was better for wishes to never come true.