Chapter Five

ELI
Now, 2078

"Kneel down and accept the Pact of Imprint. Benedicta will have the first right priority and enhanced Mandatum commands. You will serve her." It took a bit of restraint to not correct Saul's English, but I understood him, so I let him speak as he described the process of the imprint. I knelt down on both knees in front of Benedicta, who was handed a book by Saul. Reggie sat uncomfortably to the side, and I noticed the biological changes in her skin—dampening and flushed cheeks—which told me she didn't like this. Humans were too confusing. Just forty-seven seconds ago, she was happy her mother accepted my presence, but now? I wasn't sure what had made her unhappy.

Saul retrieved a small, rough, and used book from his pocket and opened it to the 'Pact of Imprint'. With strong conviction, he read the text while I looked intently into Benedicta's eyes. She met my gaze, her jaw tightening and her cheekbones protruding slightly beneath her ears.

"Will you confirm, Eli, to serve your user with utmost respect and tend to their needs?" Saul asked.

"I confirm."

"Will you confirm, Eli, to uphold the values of the great nation of Emmaus, governed by the values and expectations set out by our sacred pact of the Nations Concerted?" I noticed a slight twitch from Reggie.

"I confirm."

"Will you confirm, Eli, to protect your user from harm, and protect her from the sins of those who set out to destroy our values, our lifestyle, and our harmonic laws?"

"I confirm."

"Will you confirm, Benedicta, that you will provide your Android an environment that upholds the values, lifestyles, and harmonic laws of our great nation of Emmaus, governed by the values and expectations set out by our sacred pact of the Nations Concerted?"

"I confirm," Benedicta's voice croaked after being rested for a while.

"As witnessed by myself and the Network, this Pact of Imprint shall be complete. Eli, you must now take Benedicta's hand." Following the command, I cupped her hand in mine. Her hands, with their smooth appearance, held a rough texture beneath my fingertips—a testament to the pain she had experienced. I lifted my gaze back to Benedicta, and suddenly, I felt a cold, harsh slap across my face. My motors kicked into action, stuttering in response to the unexpected contact.

"Are you okay, Eli?" Reggie asked, clearly confused by the sight of me holding onto my cheek. I glanced at Saul, who shared the same concern as Reggie. Then, I turned my gaze to Benedicta, who displayed impatience on her face. The sensation of the slap had dissipated quickly, and I realised the same iridescent tweak was on the edges as I replayed it in my mind. It didn't happen but it may, the Network added.

"I'm fine, just nervous," I reassured them, brushing off the incident. Saul hesitated for a moment before continuing.

"Embed Benedicta's DNA with your ADNA," he instructed. I lightly pressed my lips on her hand, absorbing a small piece of her DNA and binding it to my system. There wasn't an immediate emotional change as I had anticipated, but I knew deep down that I now belonged to Benedicta.

Saul gave me a parting handshake and a reassuring smile before he left. It was a nice smile, one that made me feel safe and supported. I was eager to fulfil my duty as a caregiver to Benedicta, but I also felt a sense of uncertainty. What should I do now? Serve her to the best of your abilities, Network reminded me. As the door closed, a silence filled the room. Benedicta sat at her small dining table, gazing at me intently. I shifted awkwardly, unsure of what to do next. Should I wait for her command? Should I take the initiative and start cleaning? I felt like I was lacking a manual, a set of instructions to guide me.