Chapter Eight

Eli
Now, 2078

"Mother bless you," an older Android said softly, opening the door. I could tell he was old by the degeneration of his skin—it had lost its elasticity and sheen. If Androids didn't update their skin, especially version one skin, the constant creasing caused it to look aged or damaged. The iris of his left eye leaked more light than the right, indicating his age to be around eight years old. He glanced around quickly and gestured for us to enter. The dimly lit corridor felt like a maze, and we hastily followed the Android. I doubted any Human would have been able to see in that light, let alone keep up with the numerous turns we took. Eventually, we reached a T-junction, and the Android opened a concealed door on the left side of the passage. I stopped abruptly, a sense of unease washing over me. It didn't feel right, and I tried to rely on logical outcomes to assess what lay behind the door. However, I realised that I had never been in this situation before, and my logical outcomes yielded nothing. I had no knowledge of what awaited me, and a sudden wave of fear gripped me.

Saul noticed the concern on my face and sought to comfort me. "It's okay," he reassured, placing his arm around me. His gesture helped to ease my anxiety, but something still felt off.

"Come on," he urged, his tone reassuring. "It'll be fine." In that moment, I realised that my doubts had made me reluctant to face death. Was it normal to react in such a dramatic way? Yes, emotions are hard but it's fine now. We entered another corridor that led to a large underground space. The room lacked natural light, but artificial lights positioned in the corners attempted to brighten it. However, it was very dim, leaving dark patches and areas that even my enhanced sight couldn't penetrate. At a table in the room, a group of Humans and Androids were huddled together. All different types: metal frames, construction androids, humanoid service androids like myself, and concierge-type androids like Barry.

"Where are we, Saul?" I looked to the Network for information, but it provided no answers, only displaying images of warehouses and storage spaces.

"Who is this?" A human woman asked, her voice laced with a shrill tone. I couldn't determine if it was intentional or if she genuinely sounded concerned. She had a slim figure, a slight hint of colour in her skin, and long, dark hair. From her appearance, I guessed she had Asian heritage.

"A new recruit." A recruit? Saul referred to me as a recruit? A recruit for what?

"Why do you want to join? What makes you suitable for us?" Eyes of various colors turned their gaze towards me.

"I don't know what I've been recruited for," I cautiously replied, fearful that saying the wrong thing could lead to dire consequences.

"Seriously, Saul, get this Hoover out before I kill him," another older Android exclaimed. In response, I instinctively clung to Saul's arm, even though he was the one who brought me here.

"We need him. He's the one with the gift, Lyle," Saul explained. Lyle's eyes widened in surprise.

"Mother has spoken?" The Android who let us in sounded astonished. The woman rolled her eyes disapprovingly as the android reached out to touch my face. I retreated further towards Saul, and he gestured for the Android to back off.

"Leave him alone, Kelvin," Lyle intervened. A bulky construction android, standing behind Lyle, stepped forward.

"What did they do to you?" His voice was distorted and damaged, and I noticed a slight dent in his throat.

"They made me kill someone," I admitted, though my words may not have been fully audible. The woman squinted, trying to decipher what I said.

"Human, I hope," Lyle sneered, causing the woman to scowl at him.