Chapter one, first day

6 years later

It was a dark gloomy morning the wind outside banging against the small huts walls. "Son wake up it's your first day of real training" I talon touched his shoulder. "Father it's still dark outside" "Sandstone how would you know you haven't even opened your eyes" the older dragon replied. "How do you know I haven't opened my eyes" Sandstone turned to face his dad. "Son" his dad said raising one eyebrow with a grin. "Fine your right I hadn't opened my eyes, father" Sandstone confessed.

"Ha, I knew it" Sandstones dad yelped pointing at his son. "Father aren't you so post to be the serious one?" Sandstone asked. "I am serious, but I'm not letting life go by without me having a good time" Sandstone got up from his bed in the corner of the hut over to the kitchen. "I do have a good time father, I just think through things".

"Okay just remember to have fun while training today" Sandstones father started pushing him out the door. "Your going to be late" Sandstone didn't fight and started walking through the sand. He looked back at the hut he grew up in. "MAKE FRIENDS SANDSTONE" his dad yelled waving goodbye. "It's harder then it seems dad" Sandstone sighed walking through the sand.

It was a long walk to the stronghold. But when Sandstone finally walked into it he was overwhelmed by how many dragonets where here.
"You must be  lieutenant Heatwaves son" a dragon probably about 18 said walking up to him. "Uhm, yes I am his son" Sandstone replied. "He's a good dragon" she said her eyes scanning him. He stood up straight as his dad always does. "Yes he is" Sandstone  wondered if she worked with his father. "My name is Sandstone and yours?" he asked. "Oh yes I haven't even introduced myself, my name is Saffron"
I would not have though her name was Saffron. "Your underbelly looks really light colored" Saffron said with a questioning face. "Oh.. uhm y-yeah" Sandstone stammered thinking of what to say. "Is everything okay?" Saffron asked. "Yes everything is fine" Sandstone calmed himself down then asked "what will I be doing today?" Saffron had to think for a moment then answered "I am not the one in charge but you will know soon" Sandstone sighed. "Go line up and you will get told what's going on today" Saffron said pointing to a line of dragonets.

Sandstone walked over to the line of dragonets. He stood beside a small dragonet she seemed the same exact color as the sand itself, her back scales were darker then the rest. With light blue eyes and she wore a cream scarf around her neck. She didn't bother to look up at him, she was watching a lizard very closely. "Hey" Sandstone said to her. She still hadn't stoped watching the lizard as if she didn't know he was talking to her. He taped her shoulder, and she jumped. "Sorry, sorry, I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you jump" he said quickly. "Oh it's okay you just scared me" She said. "I saw you watching that lizard is something wrong with it or something?" He said trying to make a conversation. "Oh no nothing is wrong with it I just thought that it had cool markings" she replied.

"My name is Marigold" she said with a small smile "mine is Sandstone" He said back.  "Cool name" Marigold tv said. "Thank you" Sandstone said then moved on to ask "is marigold a flower I feel like it is" She giggled "yes it is a flower it is my mom's favorite it's the  desert marigold" he nodded.

"Dragonets eyes up here, ears up here, attention up here" A older dragon said
"I can't believe they excepted me" Marigold said exited. "You two" the older dragon said pointing to Sandstone and Marigold. "Please pay attention". "Sorry miss" Sandstone said looking down at his talons. "Everyone here can call me Mrs Brittlebush" There were mummers of okay, yes, and I don't even want to be here that Sandstone could pick out of all the noise. "Eyes, ears attention up here everyone" Mrs Brittlebush repeated.

"This morning you will be partnering up with a dragonet of your choice" Mrs Brittlebush started explaining what will be happening this morning. "Everyone pick a partner, you will be partners with he or she for the next seven days, you understand". I would much prefer to not rely on some other dragonet who does not want to be here. Sandstone thought looking around. Maybe some want to be here and will be good partner. "So, do you want to be partners" Marigold asked looking up at him. "Oh" I need a partner who would do something in a battle not star at a lizard. "Sure, why not" Sandstone shrugged.